mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

What's a Target Goal? And why isn't this working!?

So I'm 15, turning 16 next month. I'm 6' even and I'm 210 pounds. I know I'm fat but what weight should I aim for? I've always been built large, never that skinny kid you see running around. The next question is why don't I see the fat coming off? I'm pretty active. I don't sit around the house all day but don't do any sort of work outs or anything. I look at my friends who eat HUGE meals and don't exercise and they are trim and fit. I eat smaller size meals most of the time, meaning almost always and I'm pretty active but the fat still hangs on. I don't know if it's genetics or anything...my mothers side of the family is all pretty large. As you can see I'm a big kid.

So, with all that written down, post away!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Your only 16, if you eat normally and stay away from all the junk, DONT't drink POP or JUICE, stay somewhat active...you shouldn't have an issue.

6' and 210lbs does not seem that bad to me. In that pic you look half my size... You may just look that much bigger next to all your friends, but wait a few years when they start to fill out.

I am 6'1" and currently 230 (and dropping!) my goal is 215lbs...I started at 260...

remember that weight is not the best way to measure health. I know plenty of skinny people who are NOT fit. I know plenty of big guys who (aside from being overweight) are fit...
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

You're not that big but I can see where your're coming from. I think 165-180 is a safe range for anyone

that is 6' depending on your BMI (body mass index). Like Stilgar mentioned, there are plenty of unhealthy skinny people out there.

I would try to find a local gym and see what a membership runs and if there is a personal trainer

that would be willing to work with you.
jdlarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If you still feel that you need to loose fat/weight I would suggest looking up a food program called the "Slow Carb Diet" its part of a book called the 4 hour work week

Add to that plenty of cardio, (ie. running, eliptical, bike, stairmaster, skipping...) minimum of 30 min 3 times a week. And do weights, High reps, lower weight, will give you strength and endurence rather than bulk up the muscles...
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
time and youth are on your side.

If you want to lose weight and trim up there are diets and excercise that can do that for you, no problem. The trick is adhering to them...

I wouldn't really bother doing anything drastic... you are still growing (likely) and your bones are def. still growing and thickening. Just keep doing what you are doing, avoid soft drinks and fried foods like the plague, and stay fit and have fun. I found my body responded better to my attempts to change it's make up as I got older... However, work you put in now WILL pay off...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Great point, I didnt stop growing until I was 18, you could still hit a growth spurt hence the chubby stage
jdlarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Secret SWAT Team

Send a message via AIM to ChaplainBane Send a message via MSN to ChaplainBane Send a message via Yahoo to ChaplainBane

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
Judging from that picture, you aren't fat. I was 210 at 5'9 and I was in tremendous shape. You have to remember that muscle mass is more dense than fat. As far as a target weight, you're 6' tall. I'd say 190-195 would be a goal weight for you, that would allow for solid toned muscle, if you follow Stilgar's advice for low weight, high reps to increase muscle stamina.

"I have alot of filthy habits. Most of which I find enjoyable" -Willie Nelson as Doc Holliday
Blazer #003
Typhoon #579
ChaplainBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

It matters as much of what you eat as how much you eat. And a lot of people, especially at your age, have freaky high metabolisms so comparing yourself to what your friends do is not going to work. I'm still waiting for one of my friends eating and exercise habits to catch up with him and he turned 33 today. As others have said though check into body mass index and use it as a guide, much better than considering weight as it considered muscle tone / fat percentages etc. A lot of people today are actually "skinny fat" where the scale says they are healthy but BMIs are not.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't think BMI is a good way to go. It compares your height and your weight, and muscle weighs more than fat, so a short but very muscular person could show up as obese.

I think you should just keep on going for now. I would avoid soft drinks like Mar said and avoid candy as well... there really aren't any foods that "make you fat" (excess calories do, usually from over eating simple sugars and starches) but some foods definitely aid weight loss or help keep weight off.

I think that since you're still growing, getting proper nutrition (especially vitamins and minerals, mainly iron and zinc) through FOOD and not vitamin supplements is much more important than body fat or weight.

I also have a friend who was about 6' 210 when he was 15. He was always just big, and I don't mean fat. Just big, like a ****ing warrior.

He plays college rugby now and dominates people. When he hit 18ish and stopped growing, he actually seemed to get leaner. Part of that was definitely playing rugby, but he played soccer his whole life.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 04-11-2011 at 02:58 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
as a teenager myself i wonder this as well. and at 6 feet 210 is not a bad weight. a doctor will tell you like 190. 200 is a good weight and if you work out twice a week for a hour that will keep you in shape. also any sport/exercise helps greatly. its just managing food and working out.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in