mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Foods for workout day and resting day? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/158496-foods-workout-day-resting-day.html)

BenoitOWN 04-14-2011 02:54 PM

Foods for workout day and resting day?

Shoud I change what I eat on the day I know I go to the gym and the resting day?

I just started and only know basic.

For now I get about 1500cal/day roughtly not taking into account either kind of day.

I need to get some muscle in(My first goal is 10pounds of muscle gain) but im mainly doing cardio for now so my body gets to be able to feel less tired after a session.

I will get my program thursday next week so for now it free training cardio(treadmill, stairsmaster and elliptical, sitsup) so I can get myself at a better stage than starting from scratch.

StealingYerMail 04-14-2011 04:20 PM

If you're still looking to lose weight, I would eat a diet of mainly animal proteins and fats, with minimal carbohydrates. The carbohydrates you should eat would ideally come from green veggies, fruit, occasional grain sources (oatmeal, brown rice) and milk.

A lot of athletes eat a lot of carbs on the day they workout for an energy boost... while a gentle increase in carbs on a day you workout may not be a bad idea, it may be best to stick to mostly protein and fats to help build muscle.

I don't see why you should change what you eat depending on workout days vs non workout days. Unless you are having trouble with energy, you shouldn't need to change. That said, everyone's body is different and what works for me (I mostly run/cycle and eat mostly fat and protein) may not work for you. As long as you are getting adequate protein to build and repair muscle, and adequate carbs to fuel them, I just don't see why it would matter.

My theory on food and nutrition is, if our ancestors ate it, it's probably a safe choice. I think people look waaaaay too into it. If you workout you need a lot of protein, more than the average person, so eat a lot of protein. Just eat everything that would be healthy... mostly animal fats/proteins and veggies, supplement that with fruit and legumes and the occasional serving of grains.

idkfa 04-14-2011 04:23 PM

I usually try to consume more carbs than usual on running days. It may be conjectural in my case, but I found that if I ate more carbs for lunch I would be able to run noticeably longer when I went for my evening run.

Lohman446 04-14-2011 04:26 PM

My opinion is this. Nutrition is important, but unless you are exercising for more than about 60-90 minutes its unlikely altering your diet short term (IE, the pasta diners before 5Ks) will give you noticeable performance increases. I just don't think your system prcoesses that quickly.

BenoitOWN 04-14-2011 08:26 PM

Im taking 4 to 5 portion of fruit/vegs daily
Toast n cheeze the morning.

I need to add meat to my plates but shoud that be each day?

I have fats to lose yes but I also dont want to bulk up fast.

Also as far as dastfoods does quizno subs good? It the only one im thinking of allowing myself.(6inch meal)

Lohman446 04-14-2011 08:28 PM

You should add a source of protein of some type or another, it does not have to be meat. Myself, and a handful of people who run at various events, are vegetarians.

Marathon 04-14-2011 08:59 PM

I think the best approach may be to try different meal strategies. There is no one right approach. What works great for me may be a disaster for you.

I would recommend commiting to one food plan or strategy for the week. It could be high protein, high carbs or nothing but candy and cigarettes:ROTFL:. Decide what you are going to eat, plan how to make it happen and then stick to it. Through the week keep a log of how you feel before, during and after your work out. Throughout the week keep the food style and volume the same but change up when and how much you eat. The next week try a different food strategy.

After a few weeks of this you can start to see trends. Maybe your body responds to a big breakfast or only a small snack before a workout. Are your muscles more tired and sore when eating one style of food? The key is to find what your body wants.

jk_6109 04-14-2011 09:22 PM

1500 cal/day seems low. If you are working out and not consuming enough calories your body will actually begin to burn muscle instead of fat. Im not sure if you are in that zone or not, but it would definitely be easier to build muscle if you consume more calories. You just need to make sure you are choosing how you get those calories well.

Deuce 04-14-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_6109 (Post 1788253)
1500 cal/day seems low. If you are working out and not consuming enough calories your body will actually begin to burn muscle instead of fat. Im not sure if you are in that zone or not, but it would definitely be easier to build muscle if you consume more calories. You just need to make sure you are choosing how you get those calories well.

Agreed. For the plan I'm starting on the first it actually requires more than double that. Although that's an extreme case. 1500 cal seems low at first glance. What's your current weight and body fat if you don't mind sharing?

Helghast 04-14-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk_6109 (Post 1788253)

You beat me to it, I'm just about 6', 165lbs of muscle and I eat probably 4000-6000 calories a day, mind you my cardio regiment is insane, makes p90x looks like a breeze.