mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Running shoes - thoughts?

Ok, so I slacked off in the winter. No big deal got back to running some in the spring and am now really hitting it. The problem starts there. On tapering down and preparing for my annual half marathon I went into New Balance MT-10. Obviously I as in "great" running shape at the time. They did not have more than about 200 miles on them so I pulled them out this spring.

A perfect minimalist shoe they are causing some lower leg pain (to be expected). I pulled out my "treadmill" shoes - Mizuno Wave Inspire 6. However, these are not intended at all as a racing shoe, I just did not want ultra-light weight shoes on the treadmill.

I picked up a pair of New Balance 890s the other day. Three miles in they were actually "forcing" a pronation due to the amount of arch support.

I am thinking about the Saucony FastWick 5s at this point but have had issues since they narrowed the platform (around the time of the Xodus 2) I have had great luck with Saucony and New Balance in the past though and want to stay with one.. Durability is a secondary consideration as I buy new ones about twice a year. That being said I would pay more for an American made shoe. I want as light as possible and minimal cushioning. I would also like some very minor support - or else I would just stay with the MT-10s. These are going to be mainly for road / dirt running and if I get into technical trails I have a pair of Saucony Razors.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
First thing I would ask myself is the following:

What is my foot type? Do I pronate, supinate?

Do I have low/no arches, or are my arches normal?

The answers to those 2 questions will determine whether someone should choose a stability, motion control, or neutral shoe.

There are other factors - like what is overall physique (ie- are you a "big" guy or of the more lithe, proto-runner build?) The heavier build (not necessarily fat) will need at least a mild stability shoe.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
ye olde bastid

Which brands are you considering that are American made?

TheFeedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TheYoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

None... New Balance makes a handful of shoes in America but none of them are a true performance shoe. I failed at finding a good American made performance shoe - and this bothers me a bit.

I pronate slightly but because I am a mid / forefoot runner this is not a major issue. Though on long runs or when I'm tired I tend to go into more of a jog than a run and it can become an issue. Being conscious of it I mostly overcome it. Arches are low. In the off season I become less than ideal in build for running, in running season I tend to slim down by the end of it (theres about a 20lb swing there, I know I should not have it but I do).

I also found the 890 arch support was no the issue. They are so narrow that the upper of the shoe was actually acting as a landing pad, and the laces were holding it in place.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I had those and loved the nuts out of them.

I guess just go try on a lot of shoes.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Since you wear New Balance, I'm going to go out on a limb, that you have slightly wider feet. That is what NB are known for.

You might want to try Asics, too. The DS Trainer (with the exception of the 14 release) has been pretty solid.

Also, for Mizuno, take a look at the Elixer vs. the Inspire.

Be forwarned, the latest Elixer and Trainer models tend to run between 90-110 bucks.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Last edited by TBOPP; 02-21-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: 1
TBOPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I ended up bothering to look at my past Saucony's in sizing. While I wear a ten in most everything else I found my favorite shoes (my Xodus which are retired from running) were a ten and a half. I ordered the Fastwitch in 10.5 and will see how they feel when they get here

Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Man The Myth The Legend

go to barns and nobles and pick up 2 runner magizines, i do this everytime spring starts because i hate running but i do 100 yard sprints on my cardio days and am clueless about the shoes.

they nominally review running shoes in those magazines and i have never bought a poor pair based on the advice i saw in there. (i am not loyal to any brand)

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in