mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #251 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Drum you have to just use he rounds. I took out a tiger with my derp on the kv because he just wanted to play hide and seek with me and I nailed him every time while keeping a good armor angle and getting a couple bounces.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #252 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
I use HE almost exclusively with the big tanks, no matter what I am throwing at them caliber wise. I even use HE with my 50mm L60!

SOOOOO tired of all the Lowes!

Anyway, I was talking about strategies for using the howitzer type guns in the tanks... how to work around the low rof and the low penetration, etc. I am not a good enough driver/shooter to get a lot of clever angles... but I do know how to hide and read the target.

For example, I have the 105 howitzer available for both my new Sherman and my Wolverine, but I cannot seem to give up the high rof/pen of my 76mm guns on these tanks.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #253 (permalink)
DSL is new here

It depends. With the derp you can really beat the hell out of small tanks at longer range, like if you're the top tier tank. But anything else and you must have other tanks with you or you'll get off 1 shot before getting your *** blown off.

Gear Bag Sale!

Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #254 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm usually toward the bottom of the list when I use my KV. Lots of Lowes and Tigers and such. So I just keep the 152 with lots of HE loaded. My plan is to play peekaboo with them and play more like a td but at closer range. I love all the damage it does but it takes soooo loooong to reload.
Stevefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #255 (permalink)
DSL is new here

I'm liking the 107 more than the 152. It has a higher damage rate. I calculate damage rate for every game I play. For this one its damage times reload speed. The 107 is better than the 152 if both at equipped with HE. And the 107 is more accurate.

Gear Bag Sale!

Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #256 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'll have to give it another try with HE.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #257 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
The KV with 107 is really a great tank for its tier. The 152 sucks, imho, but then again, that was before I was learning how to derp. But still, I kept the 76mm... AND the original turret which is faster until I could afford the 107.

I have been having fun this afternoon with my Wolverine and Sherman, both equipped with the 105. In the Sherman it looks like the stock gun and I like to imagine the look on these tankers faces when I blast them. Got a lot of howitzer kills this afternoon, so I am starting to become a convert. I suppose it really helps to have a turret.

Also, been experimenting with that high speed 75 in the VK3601. Getting penetration almost every shot, but the damn damage is so slight, I am not getting many kills.

TA, you ever have any luck with the "Konish"?

D

Quote:
I still don't get that.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #258 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The konish is intended to be used with gold ammo exclusively. If you're not willing to watch your real money fly out of the barrel with every shot (sorta kinda like paintball really), it's best to stay away from the konish.
I've only tried it with AP during beta, and didn't care for it at all.

The 107 is the gun to go with on the KV. It's considered one of the best - if not THE best - gun in the game for a good reason. There is nothing at tier 5 that can match it. Whether you're playing against tier 4 or tier 8 tanks, you can expect consistent results.
The 152 derp gun is great fun when you're top tank, and your team supports you, but that's a lot to be hoping for..

I just got my Wolverine tonight. I'll probably give the 105 a try since the 76's very average penetration is probably not going to be adequate in a TD role. The fast 76 is great on the E8 where the tank's dogfighting style really benefits from the fast shooter, but I do not have much confidence with the gun when it comes to frontal armor shots that TDs usually have to take.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #259 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I find the 76 works well in my t-40.

With the 107 in the KV I one shotted a pz4 with the big turret.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #260 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Good tip on the Konish, TA. I ditched it for the 10.5 to see if I have as much fun as I have been having with those guns on my American tanks.

I really like the "sleeper" nature of the 105 on the M4. It looks exactly like the regular gun and thus, I imagine, opponents with bigger tanks tend to look past mine to the real threat. They turn to point their front at a Lowe or something scarier and that is when I pop them in the *** or sides.

Nice.

I will switch back to the 76 when I get to the E8 (in 20k XP ) but until then, I might stick with the 105. Toying with switching back to the 76 in the Wolverine, just for a change of pace. And, the 105 looks kind of weird to my eye on that TD.

Great meeting MrMag at PP this weekend. So much fun to talk tanks with another addict!

Quote:
I still don't get that.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in