mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 11-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #421 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I was playing late at night with a couple of friends. One was grinding through the t40. So I was playing my marder2. Well late is when all the big dogs come out to play. You can't find a low tier game.

Fun is shooting tier 6, 7, 8, and 9 tanks with a tier 3 td. Especially when they can't figure out where its coming from. Granted you don't do much damage but its still fun to watch them looking for the little gnat that's nibbling away at them.
Stevefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #422 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Yeah I still love playing with my maurder with the 76 and HE. I'm so goo a driving with it I can get right up close to someone and still out drive most people.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #423 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yeah, it was funny seeing you in a random game, Drum.
[Thunderdrum] has killed [whoever]
Hey! I know that guy!

Now that I'm getting into the higher tiers, my new tanking has slowed quite a bit. I'm mostly grinding higher end tanks, so it's taking some time without premium.

On the German side:

I was sort of disappointed with the 3002DB's performance, and research requirements (needs the tracks, the unique upgraded engine, and the turret just to make it an ok medium), and the rather high repair costs compared to what cr you can make with the 75/70, so I ended up researching the Panther, and selling the DB. I haven't bought the Panther and don't really have any plans to do so any time soon.

I ended up getting all the upgrades for the Tiger, and got the Tiger 2 researched, but haven't bought it yet either 'cause I'm short on cr.

I got the GPanther fully upgraded, and found that it is even more fun than the Hummel, so I ended up selling my elite Hummel. Due to the high cost of arty shells, the Hummel wasn't making enough cr (usually under 10k) to justify taking up a garage spot.
I will most likely not advance to the GTiger since the GPanther is so much fun.

So right now the only German tank I have is the GPanther. I've considered rebuying the JPIV and griding up to the great Ferdi, but that's all on the back burner until I get all the other tanks I want to get first.

The Soviet front:

I'm almost done with the T-50, and will be selling that to get the T-50-2. While the T-50 is all sorts of OP fun in the low tiers, I'd rather play the scout role more, and the -2's tier matching should let me do that.

I'm slowly grinding my way to the S51 with the KV. Don't really plan on buying it (since I don't need more than one tier 6 arty), but just want to have that research done before the big Soviet tree shuffle.

Got my ISU, and 'am rocking out with the BL10. Only trouble I ever have is finding teammates who know that they need to be in front of me if they expect to win. The ISU isn't very well armored, and is always target #1 when spoted, but if I get good teammates I can really mess the other team up.

The American line:

I got the T20 fully upgraded, and it's a fairly good tank as long as I play safe and not reckless. I've kept the Easy 8 since it's a fairly good cr maker for me.

Went down the other American medium tree as well. Did quite well in the M3, and even better with the M4. I got the Jumbo, and am having fun in that too. I've kept the M4 since it too is a good cr maker.
I'm planning on getting the M6 through the Jumbo, and then going for the T29 and stopping there. Since I already have the 90 researched, I'm hoping that the M6 grind won't be too bad.
I still haven't decided whether or not I want o keep the Jumbo. It's a good tank that makes good cr, but I might need the garage spot for something else.

I got my T25 AT fully upgraded, but have mixed feelings about it. It has a good hitting gun, and is fast and agile, but I find that the armor is a bit disappointing, and the gun has a tendency to bounce when you least expect it. I donno if I want to advance to the slooooow T28 AT. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #424 (permalink)
DSL is new here

I was disappointed with the infamous german 88 once I got my pz3601 H I've decided to stick with the 105 because its still the best german gun option I have. But dear god does this tank need an engine and track upgrade.

Gear Bag Sale!

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #425 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Hello,

I am fairly new to WoT, I only have a couple of tier 3's but would love to play some games with you guys some time.

Hit me up if you see me online.

Username: Yeti1016
Yeti2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #426 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Leafy, don't be discouraged by the "short" 88. The next one is better. The 88 L/56 only pens to 132mm but the L/71 can pen up to 203mm. But you will need a Tiger for that tube.

TA, I still cant believe how well you tank without a turret. I bow to your endurance and success of such absurdity.

I have tried again and again to enjoy such "tanks" but I guess I am not tactically proficient in that regard. Also, I get bored too quickly while waiting for ambushes or during standoffs... I jump to and charge... sometimes that works... with a turret, but never with a tank you gotta point the whole thing.

You will be getting a free tank/garage slot with the russian shuffle if you hold on to that KV. I would keep the M4 and the Jumbo... I really enjoy going back to back with those two tanks... kinda like when a batter practices a bit with a heavy bat before swinging the lighter one at the plate.

I like to drive the M4 aggressively, it is easy enough for my opponents to kill... when they can hit me, that is. Dodge and weave is the name of the game in that tank... and that 105 is a hefty smack in the face for anyone. Then... I swap to the Jumbo... I battle that tank like a brawler... I will stand there and let you bounce all over me while I sap your hit points shot after shot. Love me some Jumbo

Yeti, I will add you to my contact list over there. Have fun and good luck. Those lower tiers are a lot of fun.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #427 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Drum, TD isnt all about defense and ambush. My best games are when I'm right behind the front line of lighter tanks being the big gun to back them up while the enemy is focusing on trying to hit the tanks closer to them. Though TD's really excel on the maps where you start away from both bases and have to send half the force to attack and defend. I think the marder II is one of the best tanks in the game because if you play it right you can consistently get 3 kills a game peaking around 6 because you can 1 hit kill a lot of tanks you normally face if you run the big gun with h/e and don't over extend yourself. You have to play with the team for sure, and if you try to be a hero with it you'll get killed. Though I've stopped with my other TD's for a while because the german ones have gotten to be a pain because of the lack of getting a better gun when moving up a tier. I just cant make any progress on the t40, I just suck with it for some reason. And the russian ones havent interested me all that much but I dont think I played past the first one.

My favorite tank to be a hero with is the m2 light, with the good 20mm and any crew over 85% (at 100%+ now) I can just charge through and take on 2 enemies and just out drive both and pick them apart at sub 50meter ranges.

The thing that has most discouraged me with german tanks is that I've been running the same 105mm gun on the past 3 tanks because it was the best gun on the tank, thats 3 different tiers at this point. Its kind of silly that the tanks keep getting slower and have the same damage ability, but do gain quite a bit of armor. This vk3601 is going the way of the dodo as soon as I research the tiger from it.

I have gotten much better with arty, but I keep looking at ones at tiers higher than my su-26 and keep looking at the ammo cost or capacity and neither of which give me an incentive to push any further there.

Gear Bag Sale!

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #428 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Yeah, I get the drill on running a TD... just no good at it. Need a spinny turret as a crutch.

And, I too got sick to death of my VK3601 by the end... however, unless you have some good credit farming tanks, you would be better off keeping that to balance out the Tiger. The Tiger is one of those tanks that makes or breaks even in a win, but always looses credits in a loss. In my opinion, the Tiger should be a Tier VI tank, not a VII, where its relative lack of armor is tough to get around.

I think I ran my 3601 for almost 400 games... so I definitely did not mind seeing it gone, but I have tier V and VI Shermys to win me credits, not to mention the wonderful Type 59.

I love the M2 Light as well, but prefer the harder hitting 37mm on that tank. Almost nothing in the tier can stand up to that for very long.

Cheers
D

Quote:
I still don't get that.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #429 (permalink)
DSL is new here

True, at times I've been stuck in matches that were sniper battle's thinking how I couldnt do damaged to an lol tractor because it just would not penetrate.

Gear Bag Sale!

Quote:
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #430 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Bought my Nephew the boxed set of this game so we can install it and play side by side when we are stuck in a house for a week over turkey day.

The box costs $20 and includes $30 worth of gold, credits and even a free premium tank (the vaunted T2 Light tank). Should be a good start for him. It will be very interesting if he finds WoT as enjoyable as I do, considering his greater familiarity with "first person shooters" and Xbox, etc.

Anyway, watch for us in tiers I and II over turkey day week. Hopefully it will be fun for both of us.

Now trying to decide what low tier premium tanks I might buy. Kinda want to take advantage of that lessor known advantage of premium tanks; namely that you can train any crew (of the appropriate nationality) in such tanks without taking any penalty for it being a different vehicle/different class.

Any thoughts on your fav. premium tanks?

Cheers,
D

Quote:
I still don't get that.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in