mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #511 (permalink)
Keep yer pump hand strong

I generally agree that all things being equal the person/player with the greater skill will win. I also think that if things are NOT equal, than a greater amount of skill is needed by the disadvantaged party.

The Type 59 seems highly advantaged against the tanks it faces, though I confess I don't know the game mechanics and different tank stats well enough to provide more than anecdotal evidence.

Here's what I've experienced though; the Type 59 is faster than my tanks, seems tougher to hurt than most tanks I shoot, and hits as hard or harder than most other thanks that shoot me.

To beat it requires I have a fair bit more skill than the player using it, and if I run into two or more at a time I need a very large amount of skill (and some luck) to win the engagement.

That's fine, life (and games) doesn't need to be fair, but I'll still hate Type 59's regardless.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #512 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevefe View Post
It seems that the people that don't have them hate them and the people that do have them love them. I remember when I first played against Lowes and KV-5s, didn't like them either but learned how to play against them. I think there are more Types because they are more fun to play than the big hunks. And there are more players to buy them now.
I don't hate Lowe's, in fact if I spent real $$$ on a tank I would buy a Lowe. I think I hate the 59 more so because of match maker. You never see six Lowe's on one team, or I never have, but I regularly see 4-6 59's on the opposing team when I run my T-44.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #513 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
The other side of that coin does not become apparent until you have driven a 59. Compared to the other tier 8 tanks, a Type 59 is slightly slower, with a tier 7 gun and some pretty serious weak spots in the armor.

Sure, the sloped armor offer some benefits that only a few other tanks can impart, but once you figure out where and how to shoot them, they are no different really than any other tier 8 tank.

Does it take skill to kill them? Sure... it takes a bit of skill, but so does killing any tier 8 tank.

SO what is the problem with them? Well, for starters, the matchmaking system is screwed up in a variety of ways, not the least of which is failing to establish parity of 59's. Often you will see one side with 3x as many as the opposing side.

But here is a funny irony. At least from the experience of THIS 59 driver, the team with the 59 overload ALWAYS loses. I have been on both sides of this scenario so many times it is pathetic, but check this for a while and you will see.

Another problem is sheer numbers. When WoT needed an influx of quick cash recently, the declared that the 59 would be removed from the store after a certain date. Everyone who was clever enough and rich enough and did not already have one, immediately went out and bought a Type 59.

So.... now they are even more common than they were after they were first introduced. It will calm down, eventually, but there is no tank (except perhaps the more expensive Lowe) that can generate credits like the 59. If you have other tier 8 tanks, you will need some sort of credit generator like a 59 or you will quickly go bankrupt.

That brings up one final "problem" with the 59. They are so cheap to run and lucrative even in a loss that people tend to drive them more aggressively than other, WAY more expensive tier 8's. Thus, you will see a pack of them, or even in ones and twos, roll over and through other tanks as though they are invincible. They are not, of course, but it sure feels like that when you can still clear 10k credits in a quick loss.

Just for fun, here are my stats on my Type 59. Better than most of my other tanks' stats sure... but revealing too.

Games; 435
Wins: 216 (50%)
Losses: 210
Games survived:100
Tanks destroyed: 304

Please note that I survived less than a third of my battles. If 59's were so hard to kill... well, that number would be a lot higher, right? Or maybe I just suck.

Anyway... quit worrying about the 59's and just track them so someone with a bigger gun or a better aim can destroy them. Rinse, repeat.

Fun game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #514 (permalink)
Oldbie

This game wasn't really what I'd hoped for but this thread inspired me to reinstall. Just had an 8 kill round in my little MS-1. Same name there as on here.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #515 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Nice job!
Stevefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #516 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Battle of the Bulge special is on now.

Get your barracks expanded if you need more space!

Quote:
Starting at 3:30AM PST (11:30 UTC) on January 23, 2012 and ending at 3:00AM PST (11:00 UTC) on January 26, 2012, the following discounts and bonuses will be available.

x3 experience for the first victory each day on all of your tanks
50% off the cost of enlarging the barracks (normally 300, 150 during special)
50% off the credit cost of the following vehicles:
USA
M7 Priest
M5 Stuart
M4A3E2
M10 Wolverine
Germany
PzKpfw V Panther
PzKpfw VI Tiger
Jagdpanther
Grille
50% off the gold cost of the T14 (normally 1500, 750 during special)

Be sure to take advantage of the Battle of the Bulge special while it lasts! The prices of the above-mentioned tanks and features will return to normal on January 26, 2012.
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #517 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Starts tomorrow...

Tank Sale - Jan. 26-31 | News | World of Tanks

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #518 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Cool... been waiting for an equipment sale!

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #519 (permalink)
Think,build,play,evolve.

Send a message via MSN to Shroker

Shroker (Shroker)

www.shroker.blogspot.com
www.parabine.com
Shroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #520 (permalink)
12lb seldge can fix it!!

Send a message via Yahoo to capt_cupcakes

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
capt_cupcakes
add me and lets play!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
Bit of PB Wisdom "If it ends in '-ocker' and it is working; leave it the hell alone"
capt_cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in