mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #601 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
As an old guy who grew up punching quarters into "Battle Zone" arcade games for about 5 minutes of game play, I am bemused by complaints about the money grab or how much this game costs.

I pay money to buy tanks. Either premium tanks, or by converting elite XP into free XP and using that to accelerate or even skip tanks in the tree.

All told, in the last year, I have paid probably $50-100 into this game. I shudder to think how many dollars "Asteroids" and "Galaga" got from me. And... I can spend $50-100 on a single day of paintball, so... there is cheap and then there is... cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #602 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hey, my first arcade game took 15 kopeyks. I remember those days, and also remember my first gaming PC, years later, and first time beating X-Wing, and breaking a mouse playing... and how we actually purchased and owned games, instead of just "services". It was so liberating compared to the arcade, no wonder most of them went out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
All told, in the last year, I have paid probably $50-100 into this game.
I wouldn't mind paying that for a game, if it was well developed and full of content - World of Tanks doesn't have more then $15 worth of content compared to other games... in my opinion.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #603 (permalink)
Oldbie

I'll love it and I'll never spend a dime on it. I don't mind being fodder due to matchmaker. The detection system you mentioned is my biggest complaint. I've watched tanks that I was shooting disappear after they kill my team mate right next to them and yet I can still see my allies smoldering corpse. On a wide open field. ARMA has me spoiled I guess.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #604 (permalink)
I am not a macodomy!!

WOT is the only free to play game I have invested real money into, and I have played or played a good amount of them. I figure it as I didn't pay $40-$50 retail for the game and there is no monthly fees so $6.95 or what ever the minumum amount for gold is was not bad every other month or so to me. It let me convert free experience which was helpful in grinding through some real turds. Do I get stuck in the top 5, hardly ever, usually the bottom or mid low but I still have fun. My T50-2 is usually always the dead bottom of the pack with very high tiers above but I still love playing it. Is the matchmaker flawed or is the game full of whiners that don't understand teamwork or flanking and knowing when not to go head to head with tanks that outclass you, yes on both accounts. Do you have to pay to be competitive in WOT? I don't thinks so and if it is they are not forcing you to play. Just look at it as a fun time killer that doen't cost you a dime unlike Gauntlet which sucked a small fortune out of me and my friends long ago.
caplucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #605 (permalink)
Oldbie

I gotta say that matchmaker worked like it was supposed to for me yesterday and I was actually wishing it had put me back into the top tiers where people knew what the hell they are doing. lol

Got my SU-8 regardless. Needs more cannon.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #606 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

This KV is such a grind. Rocking the 152mm is tough, but it's fun if you understand that it works well to "soften up" the other team's heavies. As long as I use cover well and have some wingmen to draw fire while I reload, I can usually do some damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #607 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

I'm at that stage with the KV where I can't upgrade it anymore which effectively makes it less fun. I don't even like the 107mm for how much time it took to earn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #608 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
I'm at that stage with the KV where I can't upgrade it anymore which effectively makes it less fun. I don't even like the 107mm for how much time it took to earn.
Put HE in it. Love the 107.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #609 (permalink)
The Crazy Brit

Send a message via Skype™ to johnb32xq

i play world of tanks every so often pretty good with my friend and i playing over skype
Johnb32xq is my ingame name

johnb32xq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #610 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok has anyone yet figured out what happened to the crew experiance we all worked so hard for? I would figure it out myself but my GF wants to argue with me and make my life misreable, so I will be getting tortured the rest of the night. So do we still get our upgrades. Like I had all my heavys working on repairs and now I find they are gone. I am typing fast so she dont see and kick my behind Help!
SgtCip is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in