mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
Probably not the usual thread here...

Hey MCB.

I need to get in shape. I've got what appears to be the opposite of most of the threads here - I'm 18, 6'5" (~2m) and 165#. (75kg)

I want to add some muscle mass. I'm not out of shape - I can easily do 50 pushups and 200 situps - if that's any indicator, I have much more lower body strength than upper body... I ski and rock climb. I'd also like to build up more CVR - last fall I moved from the lowlands of MO to the frontrange of CO.

My biggest problem is building up weight... I have a wicked fast metabolism. Sometimes I eat up to 6-8000 calories a day, others a lot less. Depends on how much I'm doing. I'd say on average I eat about 3-4000, on a really active (say a paintball or skiing day) I'll eat that 8000.

So my question for you is:

What would be the best way for me to build up muscle mass? I've tried lots of reps with light weights, few reps with heavy weights, kinesthetics, using protein powder, anything, and it hasn't made a budge.

Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor
FEAR NOT, FAIR WOMEN, FOR THOU ART SWAG AS F***!
thisissparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

I hate to say it to you, but some of it might just come with age. You're 18, men are still filling out and growing at that age.
Some guys I knew who were really scrawny upon graduating high school, have filled out very nicely between the ages of 18 and their mid 20s.

I'd just go with being healthy and keeping the workout stuff up to see what happens. Sorry it's not a really direct piece of advice, but it's just something I've seen as I've gotten older. Trust me, later in life you might be dying for the days of weighing only 165.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ala koskaan anna periksi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Well I can give you some advice if you really want to start to bulk up. With a metabolism like that, you can easily go on a weight gainer, but I am no expert on them, the best thing to do is talk to your local nutrition store juice head, they know what they are talking about, even if it doesn't look like it lol. Avoid cardio, I'm not saying cut it out of your routine because it is important, but don't go on the tread mill for hours a week, you will not gain muscle mass as easily because your burning all the calories you need to grow.

Start with basic routines, don't go crazy, and lift heavy for less reps, but don't over do it. If you feel like its to much weight, it probably is, and the easiest way for someone starting out in the gym to hurt themselves is to try and lift way to much, especially deadlifting (I know because I've done it a long time ago).

Stretch, I cannot stress the importance of this enough, it's so underemphasized by people in the gym. Stretching prevents injuries!

Building muscle takes time, you need make a routine and stay with it. I had the same problem as you, when I started doing MMA a few years ago I was 5'11" and about 150. Now I'm the same height, but I've added about 15lbs of muscle, and it has taken that long to do it. It doesn't happen over night. Protein is also very important, as are amino acids. If your using the protein powder keep using it. The rule of thumb is that you need at least 1 gram of protein for every pound you weight as a daily intake, and even a little more bulking up.

Remember to rest, don't to try and be a hero and spend 7 days a week in the gym trying to bulk up. Your body needs time to grow and recover, rest is just as important as the workout itself.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Helghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
As for lifting weights, only follow THIS

The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki

Mark Rippetoe is the absolute expert.

Next is food. You say you eat 6-8000 calories a day. What do you eat to get that? I have a feeling you are not adding it up right, nor eating the proper foods

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in