mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to aldumil Send a message via AIM to aldumil

Nutrition/Energy bar

Did some searching around and most of the stuff I found reads more like an advertisement than a review.

I need something to eat around 3-ish in the afternoon between work and school and sitting down and eating something isn't really an option (unless you count eating in the car). I have been just picking up an energy bar or something to fill the gap, but are they any good?

I'm sure some are good and some are bad as well, last couple days I have been munching on CLIF Builder's bars. They are tasty and the nutrition facts didn't throw any red flags to me, though I am far from an expert. Thoughts?
aldumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would go with a piece of fruit and milk or fruit and mixed nuts, fruit and peanuts, protein shake and fruit, you get the idea. Whey powder and fruit can be carried around all day and you could always buy milk.

My eating philosophy is don't eat anything that comes from the center of the supermarket, which most energy bars or whatever probably do. Alternatively, you could make some hummus and eat that. It's good when it sits out all day... I don't know about it sitting in a hot car though. But, what I listed here is what I take for snacks when I'm spending the day on campus.

Taste-wise, I like Nature Valley. Or Quaker Chewy bars but I don't know how natural either bar is. It also depends if you're trying to use the bar as a protein supplement or something like that because I think people do... but I'd take the protein from the nuts, peanuts, milk or whey over that.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 05-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

Smoked almonds and rasins
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Trail mix of some sort will be less like a cookie/ candy than an energy bar.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

There are these protein bars that don't taste very good but they can get the job done. 20g protein, 180 cals, 2 g sugar. It's called Pure Protein

Other than that, I'll eat almonds, peanuts, dark chocolate mixed in, etc
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Depends largely on what kind of calorie intake you're looking for? I'd eat a builder bar over everything posted in here other than the Pure Protien bars (which are what I tend to snack on between classes and usually only cost about $1). Nuts are always great, the fats and proteins help satiety but it's very easy to over eat them if you don't pre portion.

PBN Feedback
Ferak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to left handed

CCM Fan
During the semester I live off of Clif bars. 24 pack from costco = breakfast for a few weeks.

left handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I agree with the nuts/seeds/fruit idea that many are advising. If you are looking for the convenience of a bar go with a Larabar as they are simply fruit and nuts (they have only a few ingredients), come in many flavors and are quite tasty. There are other simple/raw bar options, but I think that Larabars are the most commonly available.
BigWoolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

ah **** I just posted about this in the protein bar thread. the bars I make are a bit of everything... I could share my personal recipe with you perhaps

Protein Bars

Larabars are JUNK compared to my recipe
ApoC_101 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in