mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Last Place

From couch to 5k

I meant to post this 4 weeks ago but wanted to make sure I was going to continue this...

The wife and I have started training for a 5K using this program

The Couch to 5k Training Plan | From Couch to 5k

So far we are 4 weeks in and so far so good! You actually start out pretty easy 5 min walk 2 min jog 5 min walk. I ended up doubling it as 2 mins went by pretty fast (though I was pretty sore afterwards...).

Anyway our 5K is on 17Jul in Glastonbury CT. Will be posting updates as the run gets closer.

Bought a decent watch that does internvals like a champ, need to get new shoes soon and then we should be good to go. I am running tues and thurs at work (during lunch) and sat at home with the wife. While I can't say I am enjoying running (no runners high ) I don't hate it as much as I used to. If the 5K goes well the next goal will be 10K then hopefully 1/2 marathon then maybe a marathon (yikes, go back to thinking 5K).

Well just though I would share.
Bradys71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good job! A friend of mine got started running last year using the Couch to 5K ipod app. This morning she ran her second half marathon (at least until they shut it down for the heat).

One thing I didn't see on the site that is a good rule to keep in mind is that you should be able to have a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are pushing yourself too hard.

Be careful, once you start collecting those technical shirts from races, it is hard to stop

Maybe not as important for a 5K, but keep these things in mind when you start running longer distances:
Band-Aids (for your nipples) are your friends. Don't skimp; get the cloth Band-Aid brand.
Body Glide (for everywhere else. And I mean everywhere) is also your friend.
91Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
5k is 3 miles? should be a breeze

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sly Fox Cyndicate

Send a message via AIM to criticalhammer

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
5k is 3 miles? should be a breeze
3.10685596 miles
A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. Discourses on Galactic Leadership

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

R.I.P Bill Hicks
criticalhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Last Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Foxtrot View Post
Good job! A friend of mine got started running last year using the Couch to 5K ipod app. This morning she ran her second half marathon (at least until they shut it down for the heat).

One thing I didn't see on the site that is a good rule to keep in mind is that you should be able to have a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are pushing yourself too hard.

Be careful, once you start collecting those technical shirts from races, it is hard to stop

Maybe not as important for a 5K, but keep these things in mind when you start running longer distances:
Band-Aids (for your nipples) are your friends. Don't skimp; get the cloth Band-Aid brand.

Hmm yes bandaids will be doing that Right now I can chat while running with my wife and I push it a little harder when I run by myself.

As to the short distance gotta start somewhere and Glastonbury is close to you Gain come run with me
Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Last Place

Just a quick update

Last week did 3.1+ miles in 33:04 (just over 10:30 a mile)
Did the same distance in 32:40

both days in high heat and high humidity so hopefully as the temp and humidity go down my times will go up (right now shooting for 10 minute miles). Its nice to see the improvement for 9 weeks ago to now.

Got some new shoes, the wife and I went to a running store and got fitted, I ended up with some Nike Pegasus 28's and really like them.

Our race (well I call it a run) is this sunday and the wife is already talking about looking for our next 5K.

So my next goals ar to lower my mile times to 10 minutes then in 1 minute increments down to about 7-8 minutes. I would like to do longer distances but not sure if I have the time to do so. Currently I run at lunch 2 days a week by myself and the wife and I run on saturdays. She isn't as enthusiastic about going longer distances so I would have to run longer at work but I only have an hour for lunch...

Will report after the run on sunday, hope the heat and humidity stay down.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Foxtrot View Post
That's a bit extreme for a 5k bro.

Just wear what you normally do to run, you'll be fine.

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Last Place

An update, we did our 5K. It was pretty hot and humid. My wife doesn't handle the heat well and we had to walk 3 times. Our first mile was good at just under 12 minutes. Second mile was 13.5 minutes (with probably 1-2 minutes of walking) Last mile was 14.5 minutes (with 2-3 minutes of walking). Total time was 41:12. I was going to be happy with anything under 45 as my wife doesn't run very fast.

I have already scheduled another 5K in August (my wife wants to wait until it gets cooler to run another)September possibly 2 in October and we will finish our season in November at the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving (15,000 people and 5 miles).

This morning I ran a person best of 31.18 for 5k so just under 10 minutes a mile! WOOT!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradys71 View Post
I have already scheduled another 5K in August (my wife wants to wait until it gets cooler to run another)September possibly 2 in October and we will finish our season in November at the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving (15,000 people and 5 miles).
!
Manchester NH? I may try to do that race if it is. Just started my couch to 5k

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
the other one was in CT so I think he means Manchester, CT.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in