mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   cardio options besides running? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/164814-cardio-options-besides-running.html)

heinous 06-09-2011 12:09 AM

cardio options besides running?

what can you do for some aerobic workouts?

i think i sprained a foot yesterday, and today a blister developed on the opposite side of the same foot, where i shifted my weight to avoid the sprain. i really want to work off the pudge but i limp now because i either hurt the sprain or the blister.

is there anything aerobicish that doesn't require much impact on the feet? i can only think of swimming and maybe cycling.

eddiet 06-09-2011 06:32 AM

Definitely cycling as its low impact and considerably more fun than running or swimming.

240SX 06-09-2011 09:05 AM

Depending on the sprain you may find swimming a bit challenging, it really depends if the pain in your ankle is from side to side movement or up and down.

Stilgar 06-09-2011 09:24 AM

Yup, Swimming is a crazy good cardio workout but you will be supprised at how much you will move your foot doing it.

The same applies to cycling...

Possibly look into Rowing. Good work out and it may not move your foot as much but will require you to push with it...without knowing exactly whats wrong with your foot I don't know how that will fair for you.

You may also just want to keep off the foot until it heals properly and then go full bore.

heinous 06-09-2011 09:24 AM

it hurts when i stand square on it, as well as on the outside of the foot. i had to walk on my big toe's side, but then that side got a blister now so it hurts as well. i kind of tip toe on it now, but that also hurts the foot sprain somewhat, so i alternate between that and the blister.

actually, i'm starting to wonder if it is a broken bone, because it stretches just fine.... can i really break something from running? i drink milk and everything.

i can't keep off it because just walking hurts.

Stilgar 06-09-2011 09:30 AM

yes you can break a bone from running. If you have done a lot of running lately and you are not used to it, you can develop stress fractures or just bruse a bone, stretch/tear a ligament...There are a lot of bones in the foot which means there is potentially a lot of things to hurt.

If you foot hurts to stand on, I would not suggest rowing then.

Try Swimming, try front crawl or breast stroke, pay attention to your foot and if it hurts STOP.

Your best bet is to try and let the foot heal completely before you go hard on the running again.

Look into good running shoes too, you can never spend enough on QUALITY footware. Happy feet make happy life

heinous 06-09-2011 09:39 AM

hmm. my running shoes are a year old... good point. still, this isn't extreme running. it's only 3 miles non-consecutive of light jog, i used to run 3 consecutive miles at higher speeds as well.

this would really put a dent in my plan. i have been wanting to shave off some fat before the meetup. if there's a chance my foot is broken i guess i shouldn't swim in the ocean either lol. i guess i'll try a swimming pool.

would there be complications to stress fractures if it goes untreated and i just take it easy? i can't imagine a doctor can do much besides a cast, and can't imagine a cast would do any good on such heavily surrounded bones.

Petti the Yeti 06-09-2011 09:46 AM

Depending on the severity of the stress fracture, a splint or cast may or may not be needed. It just depends on the location, and how close the fracture is to becoming a full on break.

Generally, you can take some anti-inflamatories, try and stay off of it as much as possible, and it will heal on its own. But it does take time. Sometimes longer than an actual break.

Can we get a more specific location of your pain? Also, does it hurt if you massage the bottom of the foot, or just pressing against various bones?

heinous 06-09-2011 09:59 AM

it hurts when i press on the meaty part actually. stretching is no problem as far as i can tell.

there. this ought to encourage more assistant.

red is pain. blue is blister that appeared after i shifted my weight for a day. so now i'm screwed.

http://i.imgur.com/SsiCH.jpg

Petti the Yeti 06-09-2011 10:22 AM

Im sorry, were you trying to type something?

Does it hurt when you push against the side or top of the bone directly above that meaty area? Or just from underneath? If it hurts when you push on the bone, then you might be looking at a stress fracture. If it just hurts when you push against the meat, you are more likely to be looking at a bruise or sprain.

Ive never really heard of that area hurting before, just the arches. Definitely look into getting some new shoes, though.

Do you run up on your toes, or do you hit with your heel?