mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to aldumil Send a message via AIM to aldumil

When to run...?

I was wasting time and browsing through a few websites and I came across a guide that suggested the best time to get cardio in is the morning before breakfast. I had always thought that you should eat first, and that is what I have been doing since...forever. Any wisdom in the 'run before breakfast on an empty stomach' guide.

Guide is located here.
aldumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't think it matters. I guess running before you eat anything is ideal -- and they say running in the morning jump starts your metabolism, but I've also read that eating a good breakfast as soon as you get up is better for your metabolism.

I run at night exclusively and I always have. I think as long as you stick to a routine and are disciplined, it won't matter what time you run, although as a general rule it is better to workout and then eat, rather then eat then workout. I can't move on an empty stomach, no way am I running first thing in the AM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingYerMail View Post
I run at night exclusively and I always have. no way am I running first thing in the AM.
lifelong night runner (helps me sleep) and the only thing i do in the AM is wake-up.

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

if i eat too much i can't run, but if i don't i have no energy to run in the morning, so i eat a small bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast and wait half an hour at least before going out.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Igloo member

I run almost every day (Hi MCB by the way first post here) and i'll say what I do or what I experience at least

I run during the morning, like. Morning Morning. As I like to watch the sun rise as I run. (odd?) Usually I get up, drink water, eat a small bowl of salad (like a small serving) and start walking, after a few minutes I'll start running,

I dont run on a treadmill, nor Do I believe it offers any benefit to do so, I get up and out of the house. running between streets, across fields, over anything I find in my made up path.

Running on a empty stomach ends up with your body just draining itself of any sugars in your blood, then immediately going after any fat source. Is It smart? I don't encourage it, I think eating correctly, and being active to a larger degree will benefit your body more, then starving it, then trying to run it till its on fumes (so to speak)

I think your better option is to modify your diet, As in. Take a look at What your eating, and go from there. My absolute favorite breakfast is salad's Made with all the green, red, and yellow peppers, broccoli hunks, carrots anything and everything. Chia seeds and Flax seeds sprinkled over top.

What better way to get all your veggies in, re hydrate your body, and have a easily digestible breakfast which does not weigh down your body at all?

Anyways, good luck with your running, Are you looking to lose weight? Change fat mass to muscle? or control it? ( I can't really lose anymore weight as i'm fairly lean, so no point in running to lose weight, I run to run!)
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I heard you just need to eat within an hour of waking up.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Igloo member

ehhhh kinda. once you wake up your metabolic cycle starts to really kick in, so if you get up and go you tend to start to lose a few things, energy, alertness, mental/cognitive abilities ect ect.

Of course you wont explode into oblivion if you dont eat breakfast (look at how many people skip it)

But your body performs ALOT better when you eat something in a fairly reasonable time once you wake up.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I always warmed up, then ran in the morning before breakfast. Usually some gym time in the afternoon and another brisk jog or elliptical in the evening before the nightly wind down process.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just reminiscing, but looking back at it, the morning runs I have completed (like 6-7am) were some of the most fun, and then breakfast feels very rewarding and relaxing, plus the day is freed up. But, like Eskimo said if you're lean it feels like your body is running on fumes and that makes me concerned about my muscle mass since there isn't any fat to burn.

I mean, it all works, the end result of cardio is the same regardless of when you do it and an active routine will boost your metabolism no matter what time of day you exercise as long as you do it consistently. Plus it isn't like if I went for a run this second I would burn off the roast beef and pineapple I just snacked on which is currently being digested.

I think the bottom line is do whatever works best for you, either because of comfort or convenience.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 06-20-2011 at 02:10 AM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hawkeye: Finest Kind

CCM Fan
It comes down to what works for you. With that said the body is adaptive and will adjust to any routine.

I once read that 4 PM is when your body is most prepared for training. At that point you are at the mid point of your active part of your day. The body is warmed up and has had sufficient food to supply your muscles with energy.

First thing in the morning, the body has fasted and lost hydration for 6-8 hours, and your muscles are cold and stiff. If you goal is to simply enjoy a run or lose a few pounds; I think getting a run in before your day has a chance to overwhelm you is a great idea. If you goal is to train (run with a time, speed or distance goal) then I think later in the day is better.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in