mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

What does Java do?

Excuse my ignorance...but Java is constantly trying to install upgrades on my computer.

My HD is nearly full, and when looking to find space I already had 2 "Java" apps at over 120 MB each!

I don't know what the stupid thing does...why it didn't uninstall the older versions, and why do I even need the newer version...I have not hit one website that said I needed a newer java app.

Painting the World from Mt. Monadnock!

Always looking for pump games near South western New Hampshire...
Lone Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
In a nutshell...

1) Java is a programing language.
2) What's installed on your pc is considered the "JVM" or Java Virtual Machine.
3) It's the "client" pieces needed to run java programs from a website.
4) Previous versions are typically not uninstalled, because different web-based programs may require different versions of the Java client.
5) Multiple versions can co-exist on the same machine with RELATIVELY minor conflicts.

6) by default install, the java client will periodically check for available updates, which are released roughly every month or so.

7) You can turn off the update though. Go into CONTROL PANEL, and click the JAVA icon. Depending on your current version the option to turn off auto-updating of java is typically on the "Advanced" or "Updates" tab.

There's really no need to constantly update it, any web-based program which requires it, will prompt you when an update is absolutely required.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Its hot, you drink it.. tastes like coffee
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Most populated island of Indonesia?

(Kindred nailed it, nothing productive to add)

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

What does Java do? In my experience, it either makes magical things very possible, or seemingly simple things impossible. Our "administrative" and "academic" apps that make use of it tend to go into violent convulsions before locking the machine us solid if there are multiple versions of Java installed. Generally speaking, I always disable the "Auto Update" function of every software other than the OS (Windows or Mac OS), and sometimes I even disable that or at least set it to "download and prompt to install" so I have to approve of the installation before it happens.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
What does Java do? In my experience, it either makes magical things very possible, or seemingly simple things impossible. Our "administrative" and "academic" apps that make use of it tend to go into violent convulsions before locking the machine us solid.......
Oh man! I've been on a SERIOUS rant about our developers lately and even I let that part of it slide !!

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
Oh man! I've been on a SERIOUS rant about our developers lately and even I let that part of it slide !!
Unfortunately, these aren't in-house apps, so ranting at the developers is both difficult and ineffective.

Our administrative database uses SCT Banner, which uses its own java-base browser plugin that can have a bad reaction to the presence of an "unclean" version of JVM. And our LMS (Blackboard Vista 4) is fine so long as there is one (and ONLY one) version of Java installed and that that version has been "blessed" for use with BB Vista 4 (they're very slow to update their browser and java compliances - it took almost a year for FF 2.0 to get "validated").

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

It could be worse.
All of our apps here are in-house, and every programmer has HIS OWN favorite development platform. So, we have hundreds of programs made in 15 assorted languages. This is made worse by different preferences in databased, platforms, and client/server control.

It gets worse when someone leaves the company, since nobody wants to support the apps, since that means learning how to use the development software, and it ends up getting rewritten in whatever the flavor of the day is.

I don't like Java, but I like VB.Net even less. It makes such sloppy, buggy, slow, unmanagable code. I'm a classically trained Unix-C programmer. My professors beat into my head the need for well written, concise, fast code.

Bah. The "solution" that we came up with here is to run most of the large-scale apps on a client/server model, so the architecture, and platform is largely transparent to the user.

Nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lions, Tigers, and Bears...

Talking Wake up sunshine

2 cups ov java every morning helps me to function....well almost.

YouTube - Folgers Happy Morning Commercial
going_home is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in