mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

water and weight loss??

basically i have a week left to look my best for a family event.

i have slacked off every since my foot injury in june and have just started running a mile a day not long ago, recently becoming 2 miles a day of light jogging. on top of that i do 60 situps and 20 dumbbell curls on alternate days. i'm not trying to build muscles like i used to, right now i just want them to be in shape to speed up my metabolism.

i have also been eating less per meal and quit drinking those frappuchinos, so that's already 350 calories less daily at least, plus there's no caffeine in my diet whatsoever now. however it doesn't seem to be working and i look as bloated as when i started. i am suspecting it's the water because i sweat a lot and so i have some sodium in my diet to replace the lost electrolytes; the sodium might be keeping water on my body adding to the love handles and moobs.

i'm not sure exactly how much water/salt i should be having. the goal is just to look my best for now for that event, but i don't want so little that i dehydrate or run out of electrolytes. i'm on about 2 liters a day right now, and my piss is pretty clear.

i'm being realistic. i'm 155 when i was 135-140 back when i was working out. i'm not going to pretend i can work off all that in a week. right now i am just looking to look good without being so tired that i can't function at the event. any idea on what to do or if it even is the water? anything else /routines i should be doing?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I try to drink a gallon a day. I have a half gallon container that I finish while at work and then various bottles during the night
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Besides not drinking water and not taking in any sodium i really dont see any way to lose water weight, before i went to dday i dropped about 50 pounds and was down to 220 or so, started drinking lots and lots of water the two weeks before dday and during the week was drinking over a gallon a day (remeber water weighing a bit over 7 pounds per gallon) and eating prety much anything i wanted, lots of salty stuff also, when i got back home i weighted myself and was at 240 and thought wtf, how does a week of running in the 100 degree weather make you gain 20 pounds. After only one week of being home and drinking how i normally would (half gallon or so a day), i was right back down to 220 again, though looking in the mirror i didnt look any different, the little bit of jiggle i have left was the same at 240 as well as 220 so i couldnt even notice the water weight.

Isn't beer supposed to dehydrate you? Thats your answer, drink lots of alcolhol

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
I win, 8==bd==8

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
I don't know if it will help you for this weekend, but if your goal is overall weight loss you should be doing total body workouts and not just targeted situps and curls with cardio.

You can get in pretty good shape by doing exercises for each major muscle group, and throw some good combo exercises in there.

I just got a membership to a YMCA so I have been actually spending time in the weight room. But I have a non-gym workout that I do a few times a week anyway.

---------------------------

* Warm up (3 times through with like 15 seconds in between) one exercize after the next, no resting

Jumping Jacks - 10
Push Ups - 10
Squats - 10 (keep your back straight)

* Main Indoor workout (3 times)

Squats - 20-30
Pushups - 20-30 reps
Lunges - 10-15 / leg
Chest Dip ( I put two dining room chairs together and do dips between them with my hands on the seat part, and my body at an L) 10-15
Incline Push ups (feet on a chair) 10-15
Marine leg lifts x10

I do the marine leg lifts when it would be break time, so I go from the leg lifts right back to the top of the list

Marine leg lifts = Leg lift (lay on back feet 3 inches off the ground legs straight), open legs wide, close legs, legs up to vertical and back down to leg lift position = 1

--------------------

I just recently moved to a new condo.. and I found a playground on the far side of the block so what I have been doing is walking down to the playground and then doing my warmup, followed by this:

* Main OUtdoors workout

Run around the block (3 minutes)

Squat-Jumps - 20 reps
Lunge-Jumps - 15/leg reps
Heel raises (calves) - 20-30 reps
Pullups - max reps (on playground bar)
Dips max reps (on jungle gym)

Marine Leg Lifts during break as above

30 seconds to drink water + breathe. Start over.

--------------------

I also add a plyometric twist outside, I don't do squats, I do squat jumps. I don't do lunges, I do lunge jumps

This is a variation on the normal squats and lunges where at the bottom of the squat or lunge you just jump straight up. It really helps build the quads and for me it makes me more consistent blocking in volleyball.

Bunker

I would like to thank beer for paintball ::: AKA proudly sponsored by SHIPYARD ALE

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

1 week?
Try the Hollywood diet
Its pretty terrible for you
but it cleans out your colon
entirely and dehydrates you.

Lose lots of weight in a very short amount of time.
Proudly Sponsored by:

SS-25
dcroenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
And carry a spit cup!
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Copaani mirshmure'cye vod

AKA Fan
BUNKER know's his stuff.

It's tough to do anything that short term that's actually healthy. Look up some crossfit workouts!

If you wanna do something permanent, try out some of those 'beachbody' workout videos (Insanity, P90X, etc...) they're pretty legit if you don't have a ton of time on your hands, or just don't know a good cardio curcuit excercise...

Blue/Green '11 Alien Indy
Black/Blue '06 Alien Remains
Black/Silver Hostile Creations Rogue
Green '04 AKA Viking
Black/Blue Bob Long G6R
"Lava" Etek 3 LT
gm2viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcroenne View Post
1 week?
Try the Hollywood diet
Its pretty terrible for you
but it cleans out your colon
entirely and dehydrates you.

Lose lots of weight in a very short amount of time.
i think the 12 hour flight might take care of that if i just choose a seat in the middle.

can't really do any workouts that include legs, my legs are pretty weak from slacking off and injury and they're pretty out of strength just from running. i guess it's the pushups and pullups for me.

and i guess i'll have to just keep running if 20lb of water weight doesn't look any different.

keep the advice coming please.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm kinda curious as to your reason for cutting caffeine?
crispy6776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

not really any. i just cut fraps altogether because of the calories. although caffeine dehydrates you right? i'd want water retention so i can keep running? i dunno.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in