mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Climbing Training.....suggestions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/172841-climbing-training-suggestions.html)

Gorr 08-17-2011 08:42 PM

Climbing Training.....suggestions

well I am getting into climbing after a Bday gift day long mountain climbing.
Nothing to strenuous but fun, need to get into better shape to do it better.
any help?
thanks

Gorr

Chaz 08-17-2011 10:27 PM

Check out "hangboards" for building your finger/wrist strength.
I got mine at MEC

I used to indoor climb 3-4 days a week a couple of years ago in Toronto @ Rock Oasis downtown and Joe Rock Heads.

Are you going to focus on course climbing or bouldering?

Gorr 08-18-2011 07:24 PM

don't know yet haven't boldered yet but am interested

moonweasel 08-18-2011 10:26 PM

Just do it, don't aim too high at the start, avoid the smaller holds too soon stick with the easier climbs to get the technique, hand strength will come naturally with time, bad strains from overdoing it can really stick around especially when learning.
Legs are an important part at least as your arms, but technique will help both last longer.
I was no pro at it, all I did was a lot of climbing, and various pull ups on various sized hang boards/campus board/holds.
I'm hoping to get back into at least indoor climbing in a couple of months
I miss being able to do pull ups with two fingers on each hand (one when drinking at the bar)

EL17E 76 08-18-2011 10:50 PM

Back in the day Yoga was actually really helpful for straight up flexibility
and Tai-chi for balance and agility

Chaz 08-19-2011 07:43 AM

like moonweasel said, don't be afraid to climb the lower numbered courses for awhile.
One thing I learned quick when climbing was using my legs to push myself to the next hold rather then my arms to pull me. Think of your arms/hands in most cases as an anchor. Bent arms also fatigue quicker then straight arms when holding.
oh, and treat your hands well after a long day of chalking them! My hands started splitting after a couple weeks because I wasn't using anything after my climbs to moisturize my skin.. looked pretty nasty..

dammit, now I want to climb again :)

Tuff 08-22-2011 08:14 PM

Climb trees. Seriously: it's not that hard, and builds a lot of the proper muscles (granted, more slowly) for rock climbing. Climbing walls are also an obvious choice, but trees are more fun IMO (we have great trees to climb in the right parts of NH) Hand and forearm strength are probably your biggest areas worth focusing on IMO. Diamond pushups, hand squeeze devices, etc.

gainman 08-26-2011 08:21 PM

hand strength excersizes, and pullups pullups pullups. and when you done with that, more pullups.