mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I loved the book. The movie completely cuts 1/2 of the book (basically, all the parts covering the Somali characters), but was otherwise fairly honest to the material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I also loved Black Hawk Down, the movie was good but not as good as the book.
I agree with both statements. Many of the Army Rangers and Delta Force characters in the film were composites of several different guys in the book.

I guess it was hard to include so many different characters from the book into the film. Most movies are rarely as good or better than the original book, but all things considered the movie version was still not too terrible.

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent7 View Post
but all things considered the movie version was still not too terrible.
As far as characters, it captures the animosity between Captain Steel and Delta. Polar opposite soldiers. The movie also portrayed Lt Colonel exactly how I pictured him. He really seemed to hate his job.

The parts that were different, as far as scenes, were much of the helicopter crashes. In the book they were worse. Same for the convoy. They suffered much WORSE in the book, but I remember RIdley Scott saying that viewers would never have believed it if they showed it like it really happened. (ie most of the trucks were riding on rims by the time they made it back to the base).

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Just got into Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Yes, the one the Brad Pitt movie is based on. Nope, haven't seen the movie, so can't tell you which is better. Loving this book so far, just eating it up. I read through 80 pages just last night. Now, I used to follow baseball years ago, and pretty much gave up on it during the strikes of the late '80's/early '90's, but I'm really digging the social, psychological, and economical discussion on the sport this book raises. If you get a chance, check it out.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Just got into Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Yes, the one the Brad Pitt movie is based on. Nope, haven't seen the movie, so can't tell you which is better. Loving this book so far, just eating it up. I read through 80 pages just last night. Now, I used to follow baseball years ago, and pretty much gave up on it during the strikes of the late '80's/early '90's, but I'm really digging the social, psychological, and economical discussion on the sport this book raises. If you get a chance, check it out.
I read Moneyball last year right before I went and saw the movie this summer. The book and the movie were both good-but I too am a baseball fan.

FYI for other readers: If you don't like baseball or have a basic understanding of elementary math, then this book may not be for you.

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!: The movie has a few differences. It only follows the Billy Beane & the 2002 Oakland A's season. It also makes it appear that Billy Beane & A's only start using sabermetrics in 2002, when it fact they had been using it for several years before that. It don't go too in detail with the origin of sabermetrics either. However, I still thought it was a good movie and they got a lot of info & events from the book into the movie.

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
House to House by David Bellavia

I highly recommend these two, if you decide to really go on a "war book" kick let me know and I can provide more. These are both written by the guys that were there, up to their ears in the poo. The second one is especially dark and gritty at times. I would call it a no holds barred account of being "in it". You'll feel like you're there.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
liars poker
confidence men
chickenhawk
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Quote:
I read Moneyball last year right before I went and saw the movie this summer. The book and the movie were both good-but I too am a baseball fan.

FYI for other readers: If you don't like baseball or have a basic understanding of elementary math, then this book may not be for you.

That's my main interest - the math of it all. I could never wrap my head around calculus but give me hard numbers that I can prove a point with (like if hypermiling is worth it or not) and I'm a happy boy.

Quote:
MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!: The movie has a few differences. It only follows the Billy Beane & the 2002 Oakland A's season. It also makes it appear that Billy Beane & A's only start using sabermetrics in 2002, when it fact they had been using it for several years before that. It don't go too in detail with the origin of sabermetrics either. However, I still thought it was a good movie and they got a lot of info & events from the book into the movie.

That's disappointing, though understandable, since the first third of the book is mostly number crunching and discussions of games theory in baseball. Hard to depict that on the screen without the audience going to sleep. Still got the movie in my Netflix queue to watch shortly after I get done with the book, and looking forward to it.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

American Sniper by Chris Kyle a former navy seal,a very good read.
speller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan by Sean Parnell.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dextrous

Guns, Germs and Steel

By Jared Diamond.

Excellent book on socioeconomic development, colonization and the factors that lead to national dominance.

From wikipedia:
Author argues that Eurasian civilization is not so much a product of ingenuity, but of opportunity and necessity. That is, civilization is not created out of superior intelligence, but is the result of a chain of developments, each made possible by certain preconditions.

In our earliest societies, humans lived as hunter-gatherers. The first step towards civilization is the move from hunter-gatherer to agriculture, with the domestication and farming of wild crops and animals. Agricultural production leads to food surpluses, which supports sedentary societies, specialization of craft, rapid population growth, and specialization of labor. Large societies tend to develop ruling classes and supporting bureaucracies, which may lead in turn to the organization of nation states and empires

Very good read imho

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in