mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

Baen Books

so I like reading pulp sci-fi and on occasion some of the the more heavy duty stuff, but the pulp always is a bit of fun to read. And the occasional fantasy to mix things up is nice.

So I ran across Baen.com since I was looking for kindle books at a fair price and they are selling e-books in the $4 and $5 range which is a reasonable price point for me. But the hard part is picking good reads out. Anyone read any Baen books and have a good recommendations??

they have a pretty extensive library here - Baen Ebooks

I've already purchased this collection to get started - The Jupiter Novels by Charles Sheffield,James P. Hogan and Jerry Pournelle - WebScription Ebooks
Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Some Baen authors I like - CJ Cherryh, David Weber, Greg Bear, Lois McMaster Bujold, David Drake, Dave Duncan, Michael Flynn, Robert Heinlein, Fred Saberhagen, Harry Turtledove, and Timothy Zahn.

Those are just the authors from Baen that I currently have books of on my shelves. I looked at their list, and there are a ton of others that I'd like to add. Not every author is good, but Baen is a good house. I so need to pick up the base level Kindle now so I can start filling out my future reads at good prices.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Back in the day before eInk e-readers were invented and everyone was struggling to get the e-reader market going, Baen put CD's into certain hardbacks, each with a ton of their books on it. Baen encouraged the readers to read them, and share them with our friends to get more people interested in their authors. Baen still follows that and offers free books on their website; full books, now, free of DRM, not just sample chapters. The CDs were the same say, full of free, full-blown books.

Why am I typing all this? I was digging through my books the other day and found one of these CDs in David Weber's excellent Wind Rider's Oath, and was reminded of these CDs. Wondering if the other CDs existed out there on the "intartubez", I went a lookin', and lo and behold, there is a Baen-approved archive of the CDs, found here. They have 24 .zip archives of the files (plus matching iso .zip archives, in case you want to recreate the actual CDs yourself). The CD I have has 27 books in a variety of formats, and even a couple of books in audiobook format. If the rest are like that, that's a lot of good, legal e-reading, and on the screamingly cheap, too!

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

Nice thanks for the find, I find that the Baen stuff is dime store pulp paperback sci-fi but its pretty good for just a relaxing read, and you hit a real gem every once in a while.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

After reading this thread, I spotted Baen's "Darwins Radio" and "The Curse of the Challion" and picked them up. They looked pretty good, though a bit far down the reading stack.... not sure when I'll get to them.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Steve Miller and Sharron Lee.

They're with Baen now. Best space opera I've ever read. I pretty much own everything they've written, and read through the cycle a few times a year. Great stuff.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in