mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Amateur Photography questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/191325-amateur-photography-questions.html)

Arson24 02-08-2012 04:22 PM

Amateur Photography questions

hey guys, newer here but found this section and was excited :D

I have just kinda made the jump into photography, bought a Canon rebel T3
with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. I LOVE this camera (yes i know starter blah blah blah :))

Now reading thru some of these threads in this section, I see some great photos and would like to get my skill up a bit more in that range.
I think personally i need to know more about the more advanced settings.
and lighting.
I have taken photos of paintball alot (that's what i really want to do down the road) and some of people.

I have taken photos at paintball tourneys in my area (now have three places i can play for free :D)
So i guess the most help i would need is to get decent action shots, people moving or shooting. any advice?

Also for those that take paintball photos professionally, When I start my side company up and take photos on the weekend, what should i charge (I'm not looking to become rich off this just to get some $$ for my time)it will mostly
be moms wanting a pic of their kids in all their paintball glory!
field owner said its cool for me to do it and will give me free paint for photos for his site.

Now with that said, any one want to take me under their wing? haha
give me some advice for this?
thanks to all in advance.

**bigballa im looking at you man, seems to me you like canons alot**:bowdown

Kermit 02-08-2012 04:36 PM

Well, I shoot with a Canon and love my canon, but I'm not a huge canon fanboy.....Okay, maybe a little :p

I wouldn't charge until you get really confident in what you are shooting. I did several free photo shoots just to build up my portfolio and I learned a LOT in those first few shoots. I do a good amount of portrait work on the side and that's how I support a lot of my paintball hobby, but I shoot paintball games more for my own enjoyment than anything else. It's a lot harder to get good paintball photos worth selling.

Can we see some of your work? I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

mtaylor 02-08-2012 04:46 PM

Take a course to learn the basics, and then you can work up from there.

(eeew, canon)

mrmag11 02-08-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtaylor (Post 2202056)

That's what I did, at the local community college. Learned a lot! I am a true point and shoot enthusiast but I learned enough basics that my point and shoot pictures still come out decent. I just don't get to manipulate settings or have any other options when it comes to lenses, etc.

Arson24 02-08-2012 04:52 PM

well here is my last shoot for ambush paintball's Christmas cup

Pictures by ARSON0240 - Photobucket
(all sorts of criticism is welcome)

This was my first tourney shoot, trying all sorts of settings.
I personally love MF and dont switch to AF to often so some may seem to have the main subject out of focus (working on that)
but got a free case of paint just to come out and shoot some photos
alot of the guys liked them for sure!

I was using free hand and 55mm-250 lens (with no filter bought one after the tourney)

and ok thank you for your advice
now personal question...how much do you roughly charge for portrait photos? before at the start and after once you were heavy into it?
just trying to find some kinda pricing guide.

Arson24 02-08-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtaylor (Post 2202056)

(eeew, canon)

ya I signed up for one......then the teacher had a heart attack....
still looking for one lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmag11
That's what I did, at the local community college. Learned a lot! I am a true point and shoot enthusiast but I learned enough basics that my point and shoot pictures still come out decent. I just don't get to manipulate settings or have any other options when it comes to lenses, etc.

Ya same here, decent at taking photos but want to be better ( i think everyone does but still lol)

mtaylor 02-08-2012 07:01 PM

OK... let's be honest... Are you planning on shooting as a career? Good luck. (That's sincere, if you really want to I wish you all the best)

Also, don't expect paintball players to pay you for anything. They're cheap ****ers. Also, auto focus, manual exposure.

Lead-Foot 02-08-2012 07:35 PM

When I first got into photography I went into it with an open mind because it's technical and it's art/perception. So I didn't assume I was taking pictures that were worth money and quite frankly I still don't think my photos are worth money, I still have much to learn and I am my own worst critic as any artist can be. Although, people have purchased photos from my website.

Because I knew I knew nothing and I had very little spare $ because it all went to more photo gear, one saturday I planted my *** on the floor at Barnes & Noble with a stack of photography books and flipped through all of them scanning over sections absorbing as much knowledge as I could, and I still do that occasionally. Then I went out and took photos and then had better photographers critique them. Then I looked at better photographers images and studied them to see what made theirs better than mine and tried to copy them.

Now, a year later I take much better photos but there's still minor and major details that I miss.

doc Zox 02-08-2012 07:58 PM

a small aperture yields sharpness
a large aperture yields brightness

a short exposure time freezes motion

you want a 70-200 f2.8 IS

you will justify spending 2k bucks on a lens

don't do it.

chopper duke 02-08-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead-Foot (Post 2202324)
I am my own worst critic.

I'm the same. You'll not see me post photos as part of a contest or to be judged by other because I'm the hardest person on my pictures.