mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
I just finished it this morning (at about 0400... oops) and here's my take on it.

Here be spoilers:

The game as a whole feels less polished than ME2. Less interaction, fewer teammates (especially cool teammates), the whole gameplay mechanic revolving around weight, it all seems like they just copy-pasted ME2 and added in some new stuff while taking out a bulk of what made it a fantastic RPG. With the fact that there's the straight cinematic mode where literally ALL of the decisions are made for you with no input, it feels like EA has their hand in Bioware's work, making it tailored more to the FPS player than a great RPG like 1 and 2 were.

As for the plot, I really liked the story... as for Tenet's point the whole idea of the preparations being for naught was that the Reapers are this basically unstoppable force that can't be beaten without great loss or a superpower like the giant Thresher Maw or the entire Quarian fleet. I do like that you get closure between the races - the Krogan and Turians get along, the Geth and the Quarians work together, the Asari finally stop being the elves-analog and get their hands dirty. I liked that you got to meet up with all of your old teammates (and recruit some of them along the way) but the lack of new interesting party members like in ME2 was rather disappointing. Instead of Ocean's 11, we're saving the universe with two regular humans, your old Turian, Asari and Quarian buddies, and a robot controlled by your ship's AI.

As for the ending... sigh.
Your combat readiness didn't come into play at all. If you met the minimum, you're good. You also are limited to three choices, all of which destroy the Mass Relays, which sucks, because that puts you back about 10,000 years of progress. I wish there had been a way to save the Relays. It's also stated that if a Relay is destroyed, it will wipe out all life in its system (you saw that firsthand destroying the Batarian's relay in a DLC for ME2), so all the endings basically end with the reapers winning by proxy anyways.

I do think that the theory that you've been indoctrinated from the beginning by the little boy is at least more interesting than the options given. I also think that the whole 'Normandy crash landing' sequence is just a metaphor - your crew and Joker are dead and in Paradise/Heaven/Valhalla whatever.

I also also also wish there was an option where the Reapers do win, say, you talk to the Catalyst boy and make your decision and suddenly the Catalyst reveals himself to be Harbinger in disguise and surprise! you just built the ultimate Reaper superweapon, which proceeds to Alderaan the Earth while Shepard dies alone on the Citadel.

I just want some closure on what happened in the end. That's all. I will give Bioware props for getting Buzz Aldrin to voice the old man in the final scene with the boy asking about 'the Shepard'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor
FEAR NOT, FAIR WOMEN, FOR THOU ART SWAG AS F***!
thisissparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenet View Post
I don't want a happy ending. I want the endings to actually match the Paragon / Renegade paths.

What I expected:

- Paragon saves universe and crew at expense of becoming merged with the machine - appearing to his crew as a projection.
- Renegade saves the universe at the expense of crew members, leading to a darker ending.

The entire final sequence is problematic in itself - it's too disconnected from the game.

The problem started with ME2...

ME1: Discover the reapers. ME2: Research and Prepare a Trap Mechanism
ME3: Defend Mechanism against Reaper Allies, and then delaying action against the Reapers themselves before the device activates. For example, a way to temporarily control one Reaper turning it against others.

Instead we have: ME1: Discover the reapers. ME2: Do a bunch of irrelevant nonsense while fighting the Reaper allies. ME3. Deus Ex Machina yay! =/
Actually - in the light of recently released information, ME2 was exactly as planned.

Sort of spoiler:

the original motto of the reapers was along the lines of exitus jucta probat - the end justifies the means. Basically, the reapers were trying to save the galaxy from untimely destruction due to dark energy buildup (remember Tali's mission on Haestrom?), even if their methods were a bit drastic. Hence the talk of salvation, and ascension by Harbinger.

Instead, the original guidelines were dropped, and the ending replaced with this silly "make synthetics kill organics so they don't make synthetics that will kill organics" bull****.

Originally, the choice was supposed to be between sacrificing (most of?) humanity to end the dark energy (and thus the reaper) cycle once and for all, or destroying the reapers to face an uncertain future (as in "figure this out on your own in 100 years or less, or the galaxy blows up").

Thing is - they hired a guy who is so in love with the Deus ex ending, he decided to bend reality to include a blatant ripoff of it in ME3, even though it fits the series like an ox does a cariage.

And now Ray Muzyka says it's "painful" to recieve the fan feedback telling them how much they failed with the ending, while at the same time citing "positive reviews" from critics and looking dumb.
szary[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Well after a complete play through I have to say I still love this game it is a top notch shooter. The RPG elements were pared back to the bare minimum with conversations that were mostly on autopilot (kids hate talkin') and side missions that were just quick scans with no thinking required (kids hate thinkin') and I love the constant prompts of what to do! Thank God for that! If I didn't have prompts to tell me where to look and what to do I would have been totally lost! I'm going to put the blame for all the negatives onto EA I fail to believe that the company that gave the world Baldur's Gate doesn't know how to do a proper RPG. Still ME3 is a great game and I'm happy with it enough that I will purchase the piles of DLC that are sure to follow just for a chance to spend a few hours in a game world I really don't like to leave EA couldn't kill that for me.
That's some top notch sarcasm.

This is certainly an interesting analysis, though I'm not sure I buy it. Seems to me to just be trying to fill in some plot holes. Still interesting though. (spoiler alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.

Last edited by Deuce; 03-21-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #74 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

I love it, the new term for the kerfuffle around ME3 and its ending is being referred to as the "endtroversy".

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #75 (permalink)

the worst thing about the ending is that the rest of the game is top notch. There are a few flaws - some could potentially be fixed with patches (quest tracking), some can be forgiven (Kai Leng), but the ending is so bad, that it destroys 90+ hours of gameplay across all 3 games.

When Japan goes "seriously BioWare, WTF? Sincerely, Japan", there is something amiss.
szary[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #76 (permalink)
Post Whore

The dark energy ending is hardly better than the synthetic vs organics. Its still piss poor writing.

The way i look at it - The ME series are a card house. 1 card is placed badly, and the whole house collapses. Well ME3 was that badly placed card. As soon as you start analyzing the plot holes in ME3, you come to realize that the entire series are filled with those.
Here is a good example:
Why is that only Humans were capable to accept AI as sentient beings, rather than VI on a rampage?
How come the Asari a highly developed civilization, that exists for over 50 thousand years, incapable of AI acceptance?

This is just one example.
And that plot hole wouldnt be so visible, if in ME3 we wouldnt be told that the Asari were uplifted by the Protheans.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The way i look at it - The ME series are a card house. 1 card is placed badly, and the whole house collapses. Well ME3 was that badly placed card. As soon as you start analyzing the plot holes in ME3, you come to realize that the entire series are filled with those.
Here is a good example:
Why is that only Humans were capable to accept AI as sentient beings, rather than VI on a rampage?
How come the Asari a highly developed civilization, that exists for over 50 thousand years, incapable of AI acceptance?

This is just one example.
And that plot hole wouldnt be so visible, if in ME3 we wouldnt be told that the Asari were uplifted by the Protheans.
I don't really get what you are trying to say here at all.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #78 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I don't really get what you are trying to say here at all.
That ME3 story is so bad, that it virtually destroys the entire series.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #79 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
That's some top notch sarcasm.

This is certainly an interesting analysis, though I'm not sure I buy it. Seems to me to just be trying to fill in some plot holes. Still interesting though. (spoiler alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

super spoilers below...

I'm not sure what to think of the Indoctrination Theory. It does seem plausible but would Bioware go this far to make a mind bender of an ending? I would like to think that the Mass Effect story deserved a better conclusion than what was shown in the three "endings". I would definitely settle with this Theory.

Perhaps someone over-analyzed the endings too much, who knows. Devs do make mistakes and make changes for the sake of gameplay after all ( infinite pistol ammo for example ).

Oh.. and speaking of infinite ammo, I leave you with this...

CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #80 (permalink)
Hates the Media

Fan of EMR
Apparently the entire staff was cut out of the ending writing and only Casey Hudson wrote the ending. No wonder it sucked. What a douchebag if he did indeed do that. The guy goes from the primary writer for Garrus to the overall writer, and now he's the brains who should dictate how it all ends? Weak.

Still think squad selection sucked ***, probably my biggest complaint. Direction of Cerebus was off. Multiplayer is simple, yet fairly fun to be fair. But I would of preferred a better story if I knew that this multi caused the story to suffer.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in