mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Flash photography (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/195421-flash-photography.html)

JLuke 03-12-2012 02:13 PM

Flash photography

Well I've looked around in the photography section for information or samples of flash photography but havent really come up with much. Ive been messing around with photography a bit and finally took the plunge and ordered a mid grade flash (sb-700 for my nikon).

I dont know why but for the longest time, the thought of adding a flash into the equation scared me, but after messing around with a few shots where i needed to use the on camera flash, i decided to pick up a flash that i can use off camera as well.

So anyone out there with input on using a flash, any tips or intresting things to try, picture samples mabey of flash being used properly.

SeeK 03-12-2012 03:26 PM

Be sure to use NiMH and a charger with an independent charge circuit for each cell (most that come as part of a kit are simple timer circuits that have to charge 2 at a time). This will prevent you from overcharging the batteries when you need to top off.

Try the bounce flash indoors at about 6 ft from the subject to practice. Notice how the light differs depending on how far the ceiling is from the flash.

sniper42 03-12-2012 03:29 PM

Are you looking into doing more off-camera flash? One blog I found very helpful was:
Strobist

If you are looking into off-camera you are definitely going to want to get some wireless triggers. If you are going to stick with on-camera, look into bouncing the flash. You will generally want to avoid direct on-camera flash.

Chaz 03-12-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper42 (Post 2253742)
Are you looking into doing more off-camera flash? One blog I found very helpful was:
Strobist

If you are looking into off-camera you are definitely going to want to get some wireless triggers. If you are going to stick with on-camera, look into bouncing the flash. You will generally want to avoid direct on-camera flash.

Diffusers work for reducing/removing direct flash when camera mounted.

Venge 03-12-2012 07:14 PM

Great articles about flash,and lighting
planet neil

Dr. PhunkyPants 03-21-2012 01:51 PM

I use the $125 nikon sb-400 angled upward along with a Demb Flip-It 400 for daylight fill flash.

Demb Flash Products - Flip-it! 400 for Nikon SB 400 Flash

It is more than enough for getting great fill flash results without the weight and expense of a larger flash unit!

chopper duke 03-31-2012 05:43 AM

I'm not a huge fan of on-camera or shoe mounted flashes, but they certainly have their place.

Here's a couple of my new son from inside the dark hospital room. They were taken with a Flash sized Soft Box. I increased the exposure by 2/3 so I could keep the aperture setting I was at:

77monteballer 03-31-2012 11:51 AM

check this out

this is canon's online forum. they have a thread for everything. ever. there are some really talented people over there