mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Lightroom 4

Has anyone else tried it? I need to go reread the policy on student pricing and see what I can do about the upgrade from 3.

Honestly I have yet to learn enough to even push LR3, and really have no idea about what new features LR4 is really brining me, but the book layout section is looking very interesting. I do foresee some custom gifts coming along for next Christmas I think.

Hopefully someone with more experience in using Lightroom can chime in with their opinion on if it is worth the upgrade. Any thoughts or tips for the new version?
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I've been running the beta. I do like it more than LR 3 for the most part. The only things I have to nitpick are simply changes that I didn't find needed. For example, the sliders are reversed on some tools. That is just a minor thing though.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Beta here too, i didnt use lightroom 3 much since i only had a trial, but i'm liking 4 so far, used it quite a bit, it's nice to mess with raw files for once and not jpegs. I really wish there was a way to have longer trial or something, a month isnt long enough to decide if i want to buy a 150 dollar program taht i can only have on one computer, now if i could get 2 licenses for the same price, i'd be allover it so i can have it on my laptop and desktop.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

I may pick up LR4 once it's been available to the public for a few months so that the bugs can be worked out with updates. LR3 works fine for me right now with a Canon 5DII and 1DIII. If I were purchasing the new 1DX or 5DIII, LR4 would be a no brainer.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
imo it is worth the upgrade. I have yet to find any changes that are not needed.

some sweet changes:
-develop panel(basic) -they grouped exposure and contrast together at the top to kind of get the basic look of the image set. And then for highlights/shadows/white/blacks I think more precision here in adjustment compared to the old recovery/fill/blacks.
-Histogram - if you hover over the histogram it highlights the corresponding slider associated with it, its easier to identify w/c part of the histogram you are going to be changing if you move the slider.
-Sliders - their zero point is right at middle of the slider, if you adjust it to the right you brighten that section of the subject/adjust it to the left to darken that section of the subject so i think its more intuitive that way. Middle no adjustment.
-moire removal(new slider)

Last edited by addbot; 03-16-2012 at 07:59 PM.
addbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by addbot View Post
And then for highlights/shadows/white/blacks I think more precision here in adjustment compared to the old recovery/fill/blacks.
This is a big improvement and probably will allow me to finally go ahead and jettison Capture NX2, which I have never liked but sometimes had to go into for this very purpose.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonMarket

Can someone explain Lightroom? I have been using Photoshop since version 1, and I have PS CS5. Am I missing out on something by not having Lightroom?

Action hero at www.flashpointevent.se
Media jedi at www.tacticalstore.se
PoisonMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Lightroom is a program designed around a photographer's work flow. Focus is on sorting, grouping, and doing your basic edits on your images: Adjustments, minor clean up, crops, etc. It puts your entire photo collection at your finger tips, and lays out all the tools you generally need in an easy to use fashion.

It is also non-destructive. The original file is untouched, and your 'edits' are done in a side file. This means you can have 50 "Copies" with different edits and settings for barely more memory than just one copy would use.

If most of the work you do is in heavy editing/major modifications, image combination/direct digital creation, then no you're not really missing much. If you're dealing with a huge number of photos that get minor retouches (White Balance, curves, spot removal, etc) then you really need to give the trial version a shot.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Lightroom has Camera Raw built into the develop module. So you have the same controls and sliders using CR as LR. What you get is more of an "assembly line" approach where you ingest, rate/tag, develop, and produce (for web, print, or slideshow). I really like it. I think of photoshop and LR as slightly overlapping circles...one is there to help with workflow, the other offers unparralleled editing power for those cases where you want/need it.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in