mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Anyone make a good light box?

Any of yall make a light box? Just got my first product photography gig through a paintball company im sure you all know (ill make you all wait to know who until the pics are done ) and I want to make a light box for shooting. Just wondering if some of you have had success in making one and want to share your design. I found this one but just thought I would see what others did- How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent – DIY
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I never used an actual box, I just used a sheet of poster board. I'm going to try this idea though, I never really had a great diffuser.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I used to use one of these. I found they worked pretty good for small items and are easy to store when you are not using it.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Just finished making mine out of a cardboard box. It isn't really as pretty, I ran out of cloth for the last side. If I stick with this I'll probably clean it up. I didn't light from the top but instead from the left side. I need another light stand. I'm considering using flash but I've always preferred constant light.

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey JT, talk to Chopper Duke, if I remember correctly he built his own box as well.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Just got done doing the tallying up and it will be right around $35 for this, including two bulbs and a desktop 21" light stand. Thats prob what I will do except ill light it from both sides as well because lighting the object im photographing from the top only will still cast shadows.
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Let me start with this, I am cheap and broke. I used a cardboard box. You can decide what size box works best for you.

I cut holes in 3 sides, leaving about 2 inches all the way around (a realy sharp blade - box cutter). Left the bottom and 1 side in tact. Then covered the holes with velum or translucent mylar.

For lighting I used 2 old adjustable desk lamps with softwhite or reveal 60watt bulbs. Sometimes just Reveal other times SoftWhite and yet other times in combinaion. Depends on the look you are going for or the effect you are trying create. I have even used a lower wattage for my highlight and the higher wattage on the side. You can adjust the placement of the laps to achieve similar effect. There are no hard and fast rules, that is why it is called CREAT-ive.

To answer your question, YES, just like the link you posted.
Solocrosser357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

I made one a few years back out of a milk crate, same idea as the cardboard box. Just cut out all the grating. Way small, though. Made another one last year out of a folding laundry hamper (pictured...They come in white, as well). Same setup as those folding light boxes. Cost me $7.97 at Wally World. Just lined it, and secured it with tie wraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

How to take decent gun photos in your bathtub . . . - AR15.COM
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Posterboard taped to a PVC frame works great and is cheap.

You want white walls on all sides. Using a box or some other container with colored walls is going to wreak havoc on white balance. I like to have a top piece for bouncing, as well.

This is the most recent thing I've shot with my box (For our own Ninja Dave):

Mike Deep is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in