mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Now in 3D!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
The contour roam isnt supposed to have a 60fps setting. you can get it by down grading to a earlier firmware and then you can edit the settings in a file that is on the sd card, just wondering if anyone has done it. ive seen alot of videos on youtube where people have used it like that. i just read that it might brick the camera. wanted to know if anyone had any experience
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Contour doesn't like the 60fps mod for the Roam. They want to sell the more expensive higher-end cam for that stuff. If you do the mod, you void the warranty.

I've got a ContourHD 1080 and won't be switching to the Roam. Here's some food for thought on why:

1. The Roam has a wider angle. This induces more "fish-eye". Also, what you gain from going from 135* to 170* is lost on at least one side because these things are mounted to our masks. I've seen more videos where at least 1/8th of the left-hand side of the screen is a constant view of the edge of the guy's mask. It's just not necessary.

2. The HD can do 60fps out of the box, no mod necessary and no void warranty. It's not always necessary, but you've got it if you want it.

3. The Roam has an internal rechargeable battery and a single slide-switch to turn it on and off. This means when the battery is shot, you have to set your camera aside and charge it. With the HD you can just swap out to a new LiPo pack, swap out MicroSD cards and keep filming the action.

4. The HD is water-resistant. It's actually pretty darned durable. You can film with it in the rain and, unless you're taking a downpour directly from a gutter right on the camera, you'll be fine. The Roam is waterproof to 1 meter, meaning you can get that awesome action shot of when you come up from being submersed in the lake and get the drop on the other team. You do that every game, right?

Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty cool features with the Roam. But, for me, the HD is just better when it comes to how I really use it for paintball. And it doesn't help that Vholder purposefully crippled the 60fps on the Roam and then tried to pass it off by saying that it wasn't "capable" of shooting that mode.

I've got no experience with the GoPro or the latest edition of the Tachyon, but I bought the ContourHD because it wasn't as bulky as either of those. The video quality is still great. There's a lot of people filming paintball with Contour cameras, and they still look good. Also, I play outdoors during the daytime, so I'm not so much worried about low-light capability. My camera gets the job done.

EDIT: Forgot to add another important difference: With the ContourHD you can replace the front lens glass, and get an adapter to add standard 37mm lens filters. Not available with the Roam due to the necessity to keep things waterproof.

Last edited by Justus; 03-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

and you can sometimes find them for $100 new
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Hey,
I'm curious as to whatever happened to the Drift cam? They were coming out with a tiny one with a cheap replaceable lens for this very reason (a direct impact). I believe they were saying the lens would be in the $15-$25 range. I remember Woulf doing a review of the full size one and getting to see the brand new small one. Is the major reason we don't see more of these reviewed in here just the high price? Here's the thread where Woulf reviewed it:

The WOLF'S DEN and a new Helmet Cam!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

A fellow member here, Warzone, has a Drift. I tried it for a game but I found it very heavy compared to my GoPro.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to voodooballer

i know someone who bought a drift, used it last spring. I asked him why he bought it and he didnt have a real answer. Told him to get the contour, I do believe he sold the drift and went with a contour. It was simply way to heavy, to bulky, and once he finally was able to get it mounted it looked like a damn missle on his face.
voodooballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
The Crazy Brit

Send a message via Skype™ to johnb32xq

You guys ave gotten me stuck between a gopro and Contours, whats a good website you can get them fairly cheap and ship to canada?

johnb32xq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Now in 3D!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
i bought my camera new from a seller on ebay for 175
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to voodooballer

bought both of my contour HDs off amazing for i think 140 each, then bought spare battery for each one for 22 a piece. Then buy 16GB SDHC cards off newegg for like 12 dollars.
voodooballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Now in 3D!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
one thing that i havent really seen mentioned, is weight. This might be crucial depending on how you want to mount it. The contour roam weighs in at 146 grams, which is about 50 paintballs.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in