mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Help with camera accessories? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/197426-help-camera-accessories.html)

Kermit 03-29-2012 01:02 PM

Help with camera accessories?

OK guys, hoping you can shed some light on this :)

I'm looking for a way to carry my 7D and a battery grip with a lens. I have never been a fan of straps because I don't like a 5 pound camera bouncing around on my belly with every step but I have found shoulder straps that I'm interested in.

My family is heading to Colorado for vacation this summer and we are planning on doing some hiking and horseback riding and I'd like to have my camera available for both. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have experience with the black rapid gear?

Luckless 03-29-2012 02:00 PM

Have you considered a sling bag? A few good suggestions in the Favourite Gear Bag thread.

I do remember seeing one photographer awhile ago that had a nice looking setup. Bag looked similar to the Kata KT T-216 Torso-Pack XL CJOttawa posted in the other thread, and they connected a lanyard from the camera strap mounts to a D-ring on the shoulder strap. Looked like it would have the camera in a very comfortable position for general carry, easy to access, and still keeping you from dropping your gear down a canyon. (Which is something I did with a Canon point and shoot once. We were surprised it some how survived with barely a scuff mark.)

Ninjamitch 03-29-2012 02:08 PM

No experience with the black rapid gear, but you might look into the Lowepro Top Loader pro series. Depending on what lens you have they make different sizes for camera and lens attached. Wears on your front of your chest . Various ways of mounting. I hiked 40 miles into the Wind River mtn range in Wyoming with it on my front attached to the riser clips of my backpack and it worked great.

ballyhoo33 03-29-2012 02:48 PM

Do you plan on taking just camera body and one lens on these excursions? Also, what type of hiking?

Kermit 03-29-2012 03:12 PM

As for hiking, not entirely sure yet but nothing crazy. Most likely the basic tourist trails.

I don't really want to be carrying a bag around so I'll have one lens on the camera and another in my backpack. I have a bag right now but that isn't really practical for that candid shot that I might want to take. Basically something that will keep the camera out of the way when not in use but easily accessible.

xero28 03-29-2012 03:26 PM

Black Rapid Rapid Strap, all the way. I too HATE having a camera around neck, hanging in the front. My wife and I are (mainly) High School Senior portrait photographers, and I shoot with a 5D MkII with a 24-70L or 70-200L, so not a small setup by any means. We do everything on location from the beach to hiking trails to downtown urban, and we are ALWAYS walking. I've had the Rapid Strap for the last two years and it is amazing. It keeps the camera tucked behind you, out of the way when not in use, and it's quick to pull it up to use. Highly recommended. There are quite a few different models now. I have the RS-5 Cargo. It's very nice because you can store a couple of extra cards and such. I also just got a "BRAD" accessory that keeps the strap from sliding around, very nice.

77monteballer 03-29-2012 05:51 PM

this.
luma labs CINCH

this is the next sling im getting

also, this.
black rapid discussion thread here on mcb. dont know if you want to support a company like smart parts...

Kermit 03-30-2012 09:33 AM

Ouch, $70 is a lot of money for a strap.

77monteballer 03-30-2012 11:55 AM

but its amazing. i honestly dont use my bag much anymore when im walking around. just throw it on and youre good for the day...

worrptangl 03-30-2012 04:25 PM

Black Rapid is the Smarts Parts of photography!!!!

Luma Labs Cinch!!!!

Luma Labs — Welcome