mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilks View Post
I'm worried they changed it too much... everything looks so much different, and I think they brought new people in who don't have the same kind of attachment as the old devs did. They're focusing on some things that I don't think need as much attention, and vice versa...
they brought in a lot of old people who had left over the years as well as new people. IIRC they have some people who worked on the original Marathon game (the game Halo's based on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
I'm worried they changed it too much... everything looks so much different, and I think they brought new people in who don't have the same kind of attachment as the old devs did. They're focusing on some things that I don't think need as much attention, and vice versa...
To be fair I feel like the Halo series wouldn't survive another release without some serious freshening. It was fun in it's time but like others have said how many times can you really replay a campaign. I mean, multiplayer is a different story but I've never had any interest in the multiplayer segment anyway, these games have always been about the story for me.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Electro Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
To be fair I feel like the Halo series wouldn't survive another release without some serious freshening. It was fun in it's time but like others have said how many times can you really replay a campaign. I mean, multiplayer is a different story but I've never had any interest in the multiplayer segment anyway, these games have always been about the story for me.
That's a good point, and I totally agree. I have never had Xbox Live, but I bought Halo: Combat Evolved with $40 worth of birthday money when I was little. The story is near and dear to my heart. Maybe I'm just being picky because I'm so attached to it.

I'm very hopeful of the story involving Forerunners though... I definitelty knew there was a strong connection by the end of Halo 2. I love the magic that you got when you first stepped out of that escape pod onto the first Halo Ring... and I hope they can recreate that.

That being said, I hate the square battle rifle scope.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
What should I put here?

Quote:
I dunno, everyone hates on Halo2 but to me that was the best game of the series... But then again, I really like the story aspect of games, I guess that's why I like Deus Ex and the old Wing Commander games so much.
Halo 2's story itself was really interesting, cool, and one of the stronger stories in the series. Where I think it fell flat was how the story translated to gameplay. You spend half the game as the Arbiter fighting either weird pseudo-Covenant enemies (which isn't the worst thing in the world) or the Flood. Whereas Halo 1 had only one crappy Flood level (Library, how I loathe thee), Halo 2 had a bunch of crappy Flood levels. I don't know the Halo 2 campaign as well Halo 1's, but when I played through it, it felt like a third of the game was spent fighting just the Flood and the Sentinels. It felt like playing the Library over and over again for a third of the game.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
^I liked the Flood. And Halo 1 had a lot of Flood in it still. I can think of three missions off the top of my head that were heavily oriented around the Flood.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
What should I put here?

^I like the Flood too and I agree that the whole second half of Halo 1 involves fighting them. To me, there's just a qualitative difference between fighting the Flood, the Flood, and more Flood for hours on end versus fighting the Covenant, Flood, and Sentinels all at the same time. The Library was 100% the former (and not fun in my opinion), the following missions were the latter (and were considerably more fun).

Either way, hopefully Halo 4 will be able to recreate some Flood vs Covenant vs Sentinels vs Master Chief battles in some way - those got pretty crazy in Halo 1 and I look forward to hopefully fighting some more.

A side note on the battle rifle scope thing, anybody else find it odd that both the battle rifle and the DMR will be appearing in this game? I always assumed they were more or less the equivalent of one another between 2/3 and Reach and including them both seems somewhat repetitively redundant over and over again.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonMarket

Quote:
To be fair I feel like the Halo series wouldn't survive another release without some serious freshening. It was fun in it's time but like others have said how many times can you really replay a campaign.
As far as I'm concerned, tons of times. Assuming it's Halo or Reach, that is. Fairly open battlefields, dynamic enemy behavior with an organic class system, chained explosions, wicked vehicle combat and playgrounds designed for both solo and co-op play.

Replaying Halo (Anniversary) in co-op right now and while I find it "old" in some ways, it's still unmatched in other ways. Romping through the first Halo level with the warthog is still pretty wicked.

Now, firefight added a lot to Reach so I'm bummed that it's gone, but then on the other hand... Spartan Ops sounds crazy.

Action hero at www.flashpointevent.se
Media jedi at www.tacticalstore.se
PoisonMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hates the Media

Fan of EMR
Quote:
The people involved were huge halo fans, few of them even read the books filling in storyline gaps. I'm OK with new people and new ideas. But they have to do certain stuff correctly. Halo:Reach set a high bar, being the best Halo ever released. Noble 6 > Master Chief

I also liked the new look I saw in Halo 4, thru the visor of Master Chief. That was neat.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonMarket

It irks me that so few developers bother doing something with the whole visor thing. Metroid Prime was way ahead of its time (although Retro basically stole that from that Toy Story game, but whatever).

Action hero at www.flashpointevent.se
Media jedi at www.tacticalstore.se
PoisonMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm looking forward to this one, mainly for the single player.

I've enjoyed all of the Halo games, but I've gotten very into the actual story since reading most of the fiction. So far I've felt that REACH did the best job of matching the fiction....in that it made you actually feel for the humans under that armor. Based on interviews so far, Halo4 is going to continue that trend. True to the fiction, Cortana is just about at the end of her lifespan and 343 is finally acknowledging that.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in