mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Need some pro legal advice

So now that im actually getting some wheres and making sales, here is a question. Have a guy who wants his pictures on a CD. Is there anyway to cover me from him copyrighting my pics? Like if he was to post them online, could I have a legal document made saying he has to give proper photo credit to me? Or do I just suck it up and just hope he dosent? I dont know what you guys do so thought I would ask

Thanks
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
You could watermark them all but I suppose he could just photoshop that out if he is capable of doing so. Did you have him sign any paperwork? BTW couldn't you just set it so he could down load them from your smugmug account instead of making him a CD? Otherwise charge him a fee for the original files I suppose.
MY FEEDBACK

Parallax 47 Photography
dgorman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Forgot about the smugmug download capability lol. Here is another question though..would it be personal photo license download?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtusa181 View Post
Forgot about the smugmug download capability lol. Here is another question though..would it be personal photo license download?
Him, not sure about that. The new cam I just got has an option to embed copyright info into the picture file. If you have that option you could always go that route. People can always find their way around anything if they really want to. Are you just concerned about getting credit for the photos or is it a money thing?
MY FEEDBACK

Parallax 47 Photography
dgorman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Not worried about money, im gonna get paid before they get the pics And your right, im worrying about something that is impossible to avoid.

So for you smugmug site owners, would I be selling the downloads as a personal photo license?

And BTW, since I last posted in this forum I upgraded to Pro account and got my own domain

OnTarget-Photography's Photos | SmugMug
Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
Short answer, no. Longer answer, no.
When you sell a digital image through any digital medium you mark on that media what the images can be used for in the disclaimer ie "Not for advertising" or "For personal use only". You could watermark or sign your image (Signing is much more tastefull) in small quantities but it depends on what you're selling and what you're willing to do, time/money.
If you see your images being used for commercial reasons, in an ad contact a lawyer and contact the customer about their error, if they ignore you have your lawyer file Copyright infringement papers. Make sure that you have a disclaimer.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Now that I have my site setup to actually sell, I dont like pics on my site to be watermarked since if they order prints, the prints would tend to look blehh with the watermark still on them, in my opinion. Ah well, like I said, fighting something that I have no REAL control over..if someone really wants to they could always take 2 minutes to make the watermark "disappear" anyways. I'll just make sure to sue anyone stealing mah stuff
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Keep Calm & Kick ***

Kilt Fan
If you're using smug mug you can place a temporary water mark on your images and turn on file sharing, this lets a person link to the image from their social media site = views. No worries though the water mark is only for the preview image not on the final print. Then again you also have the copyright protection tool on smug.
Keep Calm & Kick A**
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Yeah I messed with the smugmug watermark thing and got angry at it and gave up So I have right click protect on instead lol.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in