mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Time for a new laptop! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/204278-time-new-laptop.html)

shadow_772 06-01-2012 10:26 PM

Time for a new laptop!

Well, it is time to pick up a new laptop.
So I look to you MCBr's for advice.
I was thinking ASUS MSI or Lenovo for no particular reason.

I will be using for:
Music
Light Gaming
Movies
Web Browsing
Photo Editing
All the other normal computer activities (Word, Excel etc etc).

Anyone have any comments to throw out there for what would be best? My price range is rather large (1000+). I am not really that into computers (someday I would like to build a desktop, but that will be once I have room).

philosophia 06-01-2012 11:36 PM

I just got an MSI X460DX. So far it's probably been the best laptop I've used. It's not too large, it's plenty powerful enough for light gaming, and the battery life is good. Doing normal stuff like listening to music, browsing the interweb, and writing documents I can get about 7 1/2 to 8 hours of battery life.

snaparen 06-01-2012 11:39 PM

My laptop died a few weeks ago, and with the pending release of Diablo 3 (pending at the time of the demise of my laptop) I got the Dell XPS. Very impressed with it so far.

Falcon16 06-01-2012 11:43 PM

I'd second the XPS they are fantastic computers. I would still own mine if I didn't get a steal of a deal to trade it towards my E6510.

Wallify 06-02-2012 12:20 PM

you can get just about anything with a 1K plus budget. Personally my only gripe with laptops in that price range is that they tend to have the 17" screen, and a worse battery life than other models. IMHO the 17 is too big to be sittng so close to, and with its size it takes away portability, and battery life.

If you dont mind those things then you can pick almost anything. I have been a Dell fan for a while though. Well built, and if somethign does break parts are available online to fix just about anything.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on the dell outlet store online. If your ready to buy you can find great deals on there. You have to be ready though b/c things on that site can sell quick.

StJimmy666 06-02-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallify (Post 2365511)
you can get just about anything with a 1K plus budget. Personally my only gripe with laptops in that price range is that they tend to have the 17" screen, and a worse battery life than other models. IMHO the 17 is too big to be sittng so close to, and with its size it takes away portability, and battery life.

If you dont mind those things then you can pick almost anything. I have been a Dell fan for a while though. Well built, and if somethign does break parts are available online to fix just about anything.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on the dell outlet store online. If your ready to buy you can find great deals on there. You have to be ready though b/c things on that site can sell quick.

You can't expect good battery life out of anything with a dedicated graphics card. That said, my M18x (18.4 inch screen) has switchable graphics (I can use either integrated or dedicated) and gets about 4 hours of battery life on I/G.

The XPS line are very solid and should get you what you need. You could also look into the M14x or M17x if you want a little more kick and the latest Ivy Bridge processors.

rithunder916 06-02-2012 08:56 PM

best machine i have ever owned in my Macbook Pro 15"

IF you order one through apple with apple finance, its not too bad, I went through best buy, 0% interest for 18months. I can play light games (diablo has OSX install) so doesn't steam. overall, since making the switch over to the mac, I can barely stand PC's.

I agree, the 17" screen is too much.

Lenovo makes a great machine, but their dedicated video cards are all geared towards professional, not gaming.

cirkle68 06-02-2012 09:04 PM

I have had an asus ulvt50 for the last few years with no issues. It has a dedicated/integrated graphics card and full size keyboard ( has the arrows and number pad )
15 inch screen dual core 1.7 that over clocks to a 2.6 when plugged in. unplugged in power saving mode the battery lasts for about 9hrs.

Kermit 06-02-2012 09:36 PM

Macbook :D

I personally love my Macbook Pro, I'll probably never look back.

If you want a PC, Lenovo's are probably the best out there right now. I've used pretty much every brand.

shadow_772 06-02-2012 10:27 PM

I will be coming away from a Macbook. It doesn't fit my needs anymore and I find it overpriced for what you get. (lets not turn this into a PC V Mac though )