mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Cell phone jail break (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/204410-cell-phone-jail-break.html)

C_losjoker 06-03-2012 05:20 PM

Cell phone jail break

So I have a samsung on verizon. If I was to jail break the phone, will that allow me to deleted all the crap applications on there that I don't use or want? If I do will I run into problems using the phone or other applications that I do use. And last where would one get it done?
Thanks

R-M-I 06-03-2012 05:34 PM

I'm fairly sure you could easily jailbreak your phone yourself.. There are heaps of up to date guides on the Internet :)

Jailbreaking/rooting the phone will allow you to do anything you want with the phone.. I'm fairly sure you could remove the bloatware it may come with aswell without seing any issues..

The Inflicted 06-03-2012 08:19 PM

Jailbroke an old Motorola once to remove some stuff Verizon had put on it.
After that I could use custom MP3 clips as caller-specific ringtones.
That was all I wanted to do and all I tried.

wd3d 06-03-2012 08:27 PM

If it is a Droid, I would check on Droid forums for your particular model. I have the Samsung Fascinate, and was able to root with out much difficulties. I would caution, READ all the directions before starting. If you brick your phone you are screwed.

C_losjoker 06-04-2012 03:36 AM

thanks guys, i will have to do some search and read up on how to jailbreak and what brick means. lol

scottthetot 06-04-2012 04:13 AM

Yes you should be able to do that fairly easily, try searching for your phone on rootzwiki or xdadevelopers

shaggy13 06-04-2012 04:18 AM

Yes read then read again, your going to have to learn what ADB is and on how to use it. After you learn everything (there are many forums and guides to help) and you read it again, try it, it's not hard and there's ways to get out of bricking your phone if you end up doing that. I've done 5 of my phones and 1 tablet it gets easy.

WebFisher 06-04-2012 07:13 AM

A word or two of caution: You can remove the bloatware by "rooting" your phone. What this does is gives you root access to all of the phone functions/programs. Not rooting correctly can "brick" your phone, which essentially means making it completely useless as anything more than a paperweight or skeet target. Doing it correctly allows you to install custom ROMS, allow you to remove unwanted programs, remove advertising, etc. Rooting, though legal, does void the manufacturers warranty on the phone, and should you have a problem with it, you will more than likely have to un-root it before taking it to your carrier/manufacturer for repair. If you are not worried about the warranty, then root away!

Zoo 06-05-2012 11:52 AM

All the info posted so far is 100% correct. The only thing I'd add is that if you plan on using the stock software and want future software updates, I would be very cautious about removing any pre-installed apps. Doing so could possibly cause future updates to crash and not install. First, try to see if you can long-press the app icon and see if there's an option to 'hide' the icon. If not, I highly recommend "Titanium Backup", as it allows you to easily 'freeze' an app, essentially taking it off the app screen but it is still there if needed for updates.