mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Old Contour helmet cam modding - cable extending question

For electronics experts:

For a while i had this odd idea, of separating the lens sensor module from the camera body,
so i could have it inside the helmet front vent hole, and the main body on the back of the helmet.
So im thinking of splicing a longer cable in between. Since it ought to be shielded i thought that an unused IDE cable should be good enough.
Here is what inside:

The idea was to cut that blue bundle, and to splice the ide cable in.
So the question are
- Is the IDE cable a good choice, or i ought to used other cables.
- What are my chances for failure/success? The camera aint worth much anymore, but i dont really want to break it.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Seems like a nightmare project to me. That is a lot of fine wire work to keep track of, and potentially not worth it if you screw up (hard to fix if you decide not to finish it). Although, it is a great idea. IDE cables should work, use the modern streamlined ones, not the older ones though. Also, they will be heavy affixed to your mask and may restrict movement.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Dude.. I think you are out of your mind to want to play with that!!!!! First off you would need to tag/flag each wire on both sides of the cut so you can keep track of what goes where. Then you need to tin each end of the wire so that you can solder it all back together... even if you are making some kind of snap connection I hope you have a way to attach the wires to the connection pieces. Also, if you get any loss through now longer wires and connections, it could screw up the way the camera works.

I almost think you would be better off looking around for a way to re-house all mess in a way that would be lower profile.... even so, it's already a pretty small unit.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

i decided the risk of signal degradation from a longer cable, is too much of a risk, so i went and bought a Hero2, that i can mount in front, rather than on top. lol.

Although, after a lengthy research, i believe the mod is possible (the nightmare of keeping track of each wire is easily avoided, by not cutting them all at once, cut one, solder, go for the next one) provided the spliced in cable, has a signal amplifier (that means above average electronics knowledge and skills, way above mine) to prevent the signal degradation.
Maybe ill try to find a broken camera for a replacement cable, to see how much degradation there is.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why go through all the hassle when you can just buy one of our hackable 1080p circuit board cameras? HackHD 1080P HD Camera PCB Same quality as Contour or I will personally refund your money. Its made by the same factory, just without the casing and with all the easy tweaking ports

Btw I did a hack on the contour before to disable the beeper and the light, then put it back in the original casing (on record) and in our showroom as a security camera, the showroom wasn't the bedroom, really.... find don't believe me. Would have also connected it to a wireless xbee but didn't get the chance cause the hackhd came out and its made for this crap
hackhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Another BTW, its not good to have the lens wires spliced or longer than what they are now, would cause some pretty big quality issues, the lens needs to be as close to the sensor as possible.

Last edited by hackhd; 06-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Thanks for posting, very interesting product you've got there. Does it take the same threaded lens as GoPros?

Last edited by russc; 06-20-2012 at 05:44 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
If you are willing to risk the camera, the mod may be worth a try. As you said, You can solder in wires one at a time. You are talking about adding maybe 1.5 feet of cable? I don't think you'd see any appreciable loss over that distance. If it concerns you, keep the wire as short as possible and try to keep the mod reversable.

You could try these to make life MUCH easier. Solder would give a better connection though. Butt Splice Connectors 24-26 Gauge

I think ribbon would be the way to go as well.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Thanks for posting, very interesting product you've got there. Does it take the same threaded lens as GoPros?
Yes it takes the same lens as the gopro. It is held on by a little slab of glue since its focus'ed by a machine but it can easily be removed (just peel it, 2 seconds). I personally did it so I can test some pinhole lenses on it and was able to refocus it with my eye by connecting it to my tv (it has video out). The product is brand spanking new, the website isn't the greatest but I am going to work on some youtube videos hopefully this week sometime to go over the features. Will add it to hackhd.com when ready.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
If you are willing to risk the camera, the mod may be worth a try. As you said, You can solder in wires one at a time. You are talking about adding maybe 1.5 feet of cable? I don't think you'd see any appreciable loss over that distance. If it concerns you, keep the wire as short as possible and try to keep the mod reversable.

You could try these to make life MUCH easier. Solder would give a better connection though. Butt Splice Connectors 24-26 Gauge

I think ribbon would be the way to go as well.
Just get a really good quality cable, gold plated or what not. It does make a difference.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in