mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Nikon D7000 opinions?

Well, as much as I like my 60D, I'm realizing it is more geared towards the beginner videographer. I'm looking at cameras in the same price range, but more photo based. I'm liking the D7000 since its just a little more but a little better, but thought I would ask for opinions on it from those who have used it. Thanks
jtusa181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Well, I know what I'm trading up to when I have the extra cash. Back to my Nikon roots for me
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

for 60D money couldnt you just pick up a 7d?
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

well yeah but i figured since he had a 60d he had other canon glass...
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I own one. I have also owned one or more of each of these: D70s, D300, D700.

The D7000 is the most advanced, high-performance crop-sensor DSLR yet. The only upgrades would be to a D700 or D800.

Canon dumbed down their consumer cameras. Nikon went the other way and stuffed as much of their pro-grade tech into a camera as they could, creating the D7000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Canon 7D versus Nikon D7000 comparison here: Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000 - Our Analysis

The double card slots are a big selling point for me; I run one as a backup card in case the other goes corrupt.

A point I didn't see in the review: the D7000 will rock any Nikon lens going back about 40 years. Canon won't. (they switched lens mount in the 1980's)
This man speaks TRUTH!!! I've owned a metric sh*t ton of Nikons, going back to the FE, have probably around 50 pieces of glass at my house, and the fact i could use them all on the D7000 was a HUGE selling point. You can setup non cpu lenses so the camera knows the focal length, as well as the apperature.

The D7000 is the best low light camera I've ever owned. Solid build, it reminds me of some of my 20 year old Nikons. Its a great camera. The dual card slots are an awesome feature too, mine are setup as roll over/video. So card 1 will be for photos, until its Full then the camera will switch to number 2. If i shoot video it goes straight to #2. The amount of options you have for the way the camera uses the cards is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
You have one more day of a $100 instant rebate...go for it.

I just came back from six days of shooting the North Coast of Oregon. Believe it or not--and I feel a strange need to apologize for this--I shot a D90 most of the time. Images from the trip, FYI!

Oregon Coast 2012

Anyway, I have had the funds to upgrade, but have been on the fence--mainly waiting on a new FX camera in the Fall. I had hands on the new D7000, which my friend brought along on the trip and was able to do a deep comparison between the two. I love the D90 but also prefer the D7000 for a new buy. Here's why I think it's so great:

1. Weathersealed and the build quality is fantastic--feels GREAT in the hands.
2. 100% viewfinder! (D90 is not)
3. Dual cards
4. Better sensor (duh)
5. Newest sensor that is not (in my view) prohibitively large in terms of RAW file size (24mp for every shot? PLEASE!)

So yeah, if I had the cash together, I'd thrown down on one right now.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Looking back on this post, pretty sure that if using a D7000 instead of the D90, the pros would be ergonomics and a few more pixels.

What I wouldn't expect would be a night and day difference in IQ...unless at higher ISOs.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I definitely wouldn't call the 7D dumbed down by any means. There are plenty of high end features in that camera.

That said, the d7000 is a better performing camera on the stat sheet. A local paintball photographer had a d7000 and I have a 7D. We swapped for a few games and I really did enjoy shooting with the d7000 but I wouldn't go through the trouble of switching to Nikon over it.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
You have one more day of a $100 instant rebate...go for it.

I just came back from six days of shooting the North Coast of Oregon. Believe it or not--and I feel a strange need to apologize for this--I shot a D90 most of the time. Images from the trip, FYI!

Oregon Coast 2012

Anyway, I have had the funds to upgrade, but have been on the fence--mainly waiting on a new FX camera in the Fall. I had hands on the new D7000, which my friend brought along on the trip and was able to do a deep comparison between the two. I love the D90 but also prefer the D7000 for a new buy. Here's why I think it's so great:

1. Weathersealed and the build quality is fantastic--feels GREAT in the hands.
2. 100% viewfinder! (D90 is not)
3. Dual cards
4. Better sensor (duh)
5. Newest sensor that is not (in my view) prohibitively large in terms of RAW file size (24mp for every shot? PLEASE!)

So yeah, if I had the cash together, I'd thrown down on one right now.
What len(ses) did you use for those photos?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
OnTarget Photography

CCM Fan
Where is this $100 rebate?

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in