mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Canon Flash recomendation

Hey, looking at getting a flash.

bounce is nice and so is wireless feature

I was looking at 430EX II, as its wireless.

any ideas?
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

430EX II isn't wireless.

Edit: I am crazy wrong lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback

Last edited by Chaz; 06-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Bringing a new level of versatility and capability to flash photography, the Speedlite 430EX II features a powerful flash (guide number of 141 ft./43m at ISO 100) with a fast recycling time in a compact, durable body. A one-touch quick-lock mechanism makes it easy to attach or detach the 430EX II from the camera and a metal foot has been added for strength and durability. Flash controls can now be set through the camera's LCD screen on compatible EOS Digital SLR cameras. The Speedlite 430EX II is also quieter, recycle time is 20% faster (as compared to the 430EX) and since it is compatible with Canon's wireless E-TTL, it can be used as an affordable "slave unit".

so what does this mean then, I would need to get ST-E2
to use the wireless feature?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

What camera are you shooting with? I know several Canon bodies have a built in wireless trigger. You could also use a second flash unit that can act as a commander. (Such as the 580EX II)

Tricky part about learning a lot of these things, at least as far as I'm finding it, is that the wording is often slightly vague. My understanding is that Canon's "old" wireless is an infrared system, which can be troublesome at times, and their new 600-something unit is their jump into a radio-wireless system.

Your other option are third party wireless triggers, but this is kind of a murky area that I'm still sorting out and studying. Seems to be a lot of outdated info that is 5+ years still floating around online on "current" tech. Personally I'm planning to go the mid-range route with simple Triggers, not ETTL support, just manual flash remote triggers. Probably going with Cactus V5s.

If you're new to it, the source I've been guided to for a lot of answers is a blog and flicker group, Strobists. Might want to check them out.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I shoot with a Rebel T3......i know i should upgrade the body down the road
but im still learning at the moment.

I agree, also I have been reading conflicting reports or poorly worded reports that confuse me.

I would love to have a nice flash that I can use as on camera and off, As alot of my friends play in bands I would love to take photos at their concerts, bar lighting and on camera flash is not my friend....

I will check out stobists, thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

Don't bother with the ST-E2. There are off-brand units in varying price levels that work far better and use a radio frequency. I'm using the Pixel King wireless triggers and have wonderful luck with them.

Last edited by ballyhoo33; 06-28-2012 at 08:43 PM.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Canon 580EX II Flash F/S

as you dangle that in my face.....lol

Quote:
Don't bother with the ST-E2
Ya thats what I have been reading so far.

I know the 600EX is radio frequency but really pricey.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

I used the 550EX flashes for a long time and was luke-warm with them. Inconsistent results. The 580EX and EX II flashes were big improvements. I've been very happy with them to the point that I grab them moreoften than I do my AB strobes.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If it's just going to be used for some fill light in low light situations (concerts and such), you might look into a manual system. It's not TTL, so you won't be able to get the high speed sync if shooting over ~1/300th, but in low light like a bar, you shouldn't be going over that anyways. I have a 430EX, and while I don't use flash that often, I usually just go to the manuals with a trigger. The trigger just goes on the camera, the receiver goes on the flash. Quick and easy way for off camera flash. Put it on a flash stand or set it on it's own little stand or just have someone hold it. They fill pretty nicely and you can get a full set for how much you'd pay for one of the low end TTLs. They take a little practice, but they work.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-TT560-S...s=camera+flash

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-N...+flash+trigger
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Personally I would go with a Transceiver trigger setup instead of a transmitter-receiver setup if you are just going with low cost basic radio triggers. A lot of companies are going this route for a very logical reason. There is only one model of device to produce/buy, and it doesn't matter which you attempt to use for which job.

Big thing the transceiver gives you is easier backup hardware. Want to carry an extra/backup? You carry one. If one of your 'receivers' goes down, it covers it. If your 'transmitter' dies on you, that same item replaces it. (Also easier on packing the gear bag)

When you're looking at what model to get, one thing I've seen a lot of complaints about on the really cheap models is the lack of a locking foot which can make things dicey if you are doing something like mounting a flash trigger between the camera and an on-camera flash.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in