mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
paintball camera rigs

Who shoots paintball games/tourny/matches/whatever we call em Haha

I have a new and aspiring camera guy.... But other than a yellow ref mask and orange vest he has no other safety/protection gear

Hellfish tv is a local film crew who does video, he does pics so their camera protection rigs are not exactly compatible with his fancy camera

What kind of camera rigs do you use?
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I use an Olympus tough 610, by no means a high end camera but it is impact resistant and waterproof, it has survived a paintball impact when it was in my shirt pocket with no visible damage.

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Kata E-702
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think Jimmy Hickey took a pic of me and my set up, I will see if i can find it.

towel over my camera and I wear a blue/bright color shirt around my neck
and move quickly!!
my camera took quite a few hits this weekend, but nothing it can't handle.
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I only have a megazoom point and shoot, sx20is. I put on a big rubber lens hood to catch paint and keep it off the camera. The lens barrel slides in and out of the camera, so getting paint in there could muck things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson24 View Post
...and move quickly!!...
I found that's how you get shot at. Move like a photographer, not a player. Walk around casually, be in the open, don't have an aggressive stance.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

stormjacket.com

all you need.
TIJUANAIRONMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Lack of zoom ring access would be a deal breaker for me.

The typical setups I see are:
  • Nothing - These are the folks who either a) really know what they're doing or b) have absolutely no idea what they're doing.
  • Lens filters - Let's get these out of the way. They will not protect against direct hits by paintballs. Some have used them to deal with dirt, rain and splatter, myself included.
  • Kata bags - Best protection, but can have mobility and ventilation issues. Does not fit all camera+lens combos. This is what I use.
  • Modified Op/Tech pouch covers - Keeps the camera clean. Good match for LensCoats and other neoprene covers.
  • Sweatbands - Good for protecting the crevices around control rings.
  • Camera Armor - Hard rubber bits that go around the camera. Since it doesn't keep out liquid paint, and camera bodies are tough enough to take the force of hits, this effectively does nothing.
  • Plastic bags - Includes Zip-Locs, paint bags, Op/Tech rain sleeves. Used by people who have not yet learned paintballs can go straight through these.
  • Cardboard boxes - Won't always stop paintballs, distracting.
  • Plexiglass boxes - Usually see these with video cameras due to the loss of mobility. Appropriate thickness stops paintballs. Insufficient thickness can crack and create a hazard. If Plexi is used in front of the lens, image quality will be severely degraded.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
For protecting my camera, I use a Kata rain cover. It works great. I picked up one for my video camera, just need to get that rig finished so I can use it. It's a special rig, should work nicely.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Well, I just tried my first attempt at taking photos at a big game (NOW WITH PHOTOS) Day 2 of Tippmann Challenge

I tried searching before hand but there all kinds of tips and some were pretty pricey for me so I just decided to learn on my own and "winged it" like I typically do It was a risk, but one I fully assumed.

Equipment: I basically used what I had around me; a Nikon D60 with a Nikor 55-300mm lens. For the moment it does the job well enough.

Things I think I did right:
I tried to get close but not too close, tried to get a feel if either team is about to do a big advance and slowly walk away from any hot spots. I tried as hard as I could not not get in the way or be a nuisance to players on the field.

I walked slowly with the same gestures the refs were using to protect themselves. This seems to have helped a lot and I think reduce a lot of people accidentally shooting me.

Things I learned:
I learned I need more padding. I got shot up only twice all afternoon but it was nasty and I took a dozen close shots to my back.

I learned I should wear brighter clothing or something really unusual to stick out more. I should have put on a paintball vest in case of flyers and a backpack too.

I got lots of help from the refs in the field as they often tried to warn players on both sides who I was as I wondered between players.

I learned that if smoke bombs start going off nearby, to pull back since everyone will start shooting wildly into the smoke.

One real cool thing is I had some brief conversations with other photographers I met on the field and hope to get more knowledge that way.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in