mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Magic Jack? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/208890-magic-jack.html)

Finnigan 07-23-2012 08:27 AM

Magic Jack?

I asked this in an old review thread, but I thought it might get more responses in this section. Any opinions on Magic Jack? I'm moving and looking into it as an option at the new house. I see now they have Magic Jack Plus where you don't need a computer. The salesman at Radioshack told me he wouldn't recommend it for anyone with less than a cable connection? I also see there were issues with setting them up on Mac's. I don't know if this has been corrected, but I do have a win7 netbook available for setup.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Hobbes 07-23-2012 09:01 AM

We use a lot of these at work for our overseas people. I set up several of them myself on a Mac without any hickups besides some random issues during setup where the connection would hang up, but I don't think it had anything to do with being on a Mac.

I never call on a Magic Jack, but I talk to the people that are using them overseas and they sound good to me.

WebFisher 07-23-2012 01:22 PM

I have a magic jack, and have found that it is VERY good. Never had any problem other than my old computer locking up, it has performed flawlessly. Another option to consider is Sprint's Phone connect for $20/month. This also works pretty well if you are in a Sprint Service area.

Chaz 07-23-2012 02:15 PM

OOMA is another system that seems to be gaining some ground.

justme- 07-23-2012 07:27 PM

Its OK in most cases. 3plus years on one. You need a wired network connection it will drop out voice during conversations if on wireless. Also I find it periodically has issues server side as I'll call and it will be unavailable. If you have the right network setup its a good value. They finally allow porting numbers....2.5 years after they promised it and 6 most after I finally dropped the old number I was paying a land line on waiting to port. Keep in mind these use CPU cycles showing adverts in their window ans it's reported nearly impossible to completely uninstall the software short of a format. Research installation in a separate user before installing it. Tons of good tech info on forums out there but customer service is lacking. Very hard to get a human or an answer from the company.

Rover 07-23-2012 08:19 PM

I sell these products. I wish I didn't.

I have sold 15+ Magic jacks, and had all 15 new in box products returned because they 'did not work.' I did not test further then that, I took the customers at face value.

That is all my experience with them. I pulled them off my shelves and stopped carrying them. Other stores have told me they sell them fine. I stopped caring. I only sell them if someone asks for it directly, and then I tell them my experience, and that I will not be taking a refund on it.

Finnigan 07-23-2012 08:29 PM

Lots of good info and opinions! Thanks guys, you are giving me lots to think about. Keep them coming if you have them!

comovartia 03-05-2013 12:29 PM

Reviving a dead thread.
I have been using VOIP for about 8 years. Just switched to Magic Jack. Quality is a lot better then the service I was using though still not as good as traditional land lines. My brother had been using it and loves it. I jumped in all the way upgrading to the 5 year plan. Including shipping, regulatory fees and what not I am paying $4 a month for service but it was prepaid so I will not have a phone bill for 5 years. Called my wife and she said it sounded much clearer then our VOIP phone service ever has.
As far as people complaining about them not working, from everything I have read is if you have an old, slower computer and do not have a fast internet service then it will not work. In about 5 days when the porting of my old number is complete I will cancel my other service and save $35 a month. (Yes sadly the price started out low but has crept up over the last few years.)

Finnigan 03-05-2013 02:37 PM

I purchased the MagicJack+ just prior to hurricane Sandy. The outages of services in my area had my Wife and I reconsidering switching from landlines (which were still working) to MagicJack. However, we are now thinking with all the utility costs in the area going up after rebuilding from the storm we may cancel the phone and switch to MJ + after all. I just have to do some creative wiring in my house to get all the phones jumped to the MJ+ and then set it up.

Rage 01 03-05-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnigan (Post 2644728)
I purchased the MagicJack+ just prior to hurricane Sandy. The outages of services in my area had my Wife and I reconsidering switching from landlines (which were still working) to MagicJack. However, we are now thinking with all the utility costs in the area going up after rebuilding from the storm we may cancel the phone and switch to MJ + after all. I just have to do some creative wiring in my house to get all the phones jumped to the MJ+ and then set it up.

What I did with mine was put it in the living room with a hard wired network wire. Then plugged my base station of my cordless phones into it. The base station has 4 phones that it talks to. The other phones only plug into the outlet. That way I have no wiring to do. Works really good, I have been doing that for about 5 years now.