mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

these were recommended to me today along with lots of icing.

ill be picking it up today and ill try to remember to let you know how they work out after i run. i tried some forefoot running last night and it seemed to help a lot even though it felt REALLY weird. that stretch helps a lot too!
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

didnt really notice a difference with the sleeve. if anything, there was a little more pain but that may have been because the feeling was new so i was focused on it more. after only 2.5 miles, i was done and iced both shins after.

sore shins today but ive been stretching and working them a lot on breaks at work. after i run tonight ill try and update again.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealda View Post
Throw the shoes out. I used to get shin splints so bad that I didnt even want to walk. I switched to barefoot and have had zero problems. Ease into it though. Maybe start with some vibram five fingers or other minimalistic shoes. Tens of thousands of years of evolution vs. a few decades of running shoe technology. It seems like an easy choice to me.
Do some research on running barefoot for yourself I think you will be surprised.

This.
I used to get awful shin splints but I switched to vibrams/barefoot and have had zero. Its all about proper technique which is what you learn from running without cushions. It apparently helps save your knees in the long run also. I ran barefoot until I burned the heck out of them trying to run on pavement in the summer. Vibram 5 fingers are a good start.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BOB View Post
This.
I used to get awful shin splints but I switched to vibrams/barefoot and have had zero. Its all about proper technique which is what you learn from running without cushions. It apparently helps save your knees in the long run also. I ran barefoot until I burned the heck out of them trying to run on pavement in the summer. Vibram 5 fingers are a good start.
I love my TrekLS. Best "shoe" ever. Just be prepared to get LOTS of attention. I swear I'm the only person in southern MO that wears them. I always get looked at like I'm an alien. Then again, it could just me my dashing good looks.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Yeah I bought a pair of the blue camo ones because it wasnt bad enough that I was wearing toe shoes.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77monteballer View Post
didnt really notice a difference with the sleeve. if anything, there was a little more pain but that may have been because the feeling was new so i was focused on it more. after only 2.5 miles, i was done and iced both shins after.

sore shins today but ive been stretching and working them a lot on breaks at work. after i run tonight ill try and update again.
Let me know.

I would run barefoot but UIL rules at my school don't allow it at the cross country/track meet. I'll try some minimalist shoes. Can anybody give me a link to some good minimalistic shoes?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

these are what i was looking at

seem to be a good brand and all, but i really dont know much about them.

i havent run since wednesday but i will tonight. ill try to update again
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hawkeye: Finest Kind

CCM Fan
Shin Splints are an indication that something is not right in your biomechanics. You may need more support or more cushioning. Some people get good results from orthotics, others get good results from very cushioned flexible shoes.

I would speak to a knowledgeable physio-therapist or podiatrist. They can assess your mechanics and get you on the right path. 15 minutes with a PT is more efficient than several weeks and hundreds of dollars wasted on the wrong shoes.

Also "shin splints" can also be a stress fracture of the lower leg. No shoe is going to correct for damage to your bone. A PT will assess for that as well.

In the mean time, ice your shins after running and at night. Flexibility exercise can help. Do a goggle search.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
Shin Splints are an indication that something is not right in your biomechanics. You may need more support or more cushioning. Some people get good results from orthotics, others get good results from very cushioned flexible shoes.
I fully agree that shin splints are an indication that something is wrong with your biomechanics. However I strongly disagree that more support or more cushioning is the solution. The problem with most running shoes is that they are trying to correct a problem by adding more of what is causing the problem to begin with. Your foot never evolved to spend two thirds of your life wrapped in padding. Or, if you prefer intelligent design over evolution, then God would not have created a sad weak appendage with which his favorite creation would need to ambulate across His wonderful world. The reason your feet hurt is that they are weak. The muscles are under developed and adding more cushioning multiplies the problem. I am not a doctor nor do I work anywhere in the medical field. I am only speaking from my personal experience with shin splints and foot pain. And from all the time I spent researching the subject for myself. The Human foot is an amazing piece of anatomy, set it free and see for yourself what its capable of.

Disclaimer: The preceeding message is all personal opinion and should be read as such.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

i have to fully agree with you Kealda. after trying some forefoot running even with the shoes i have i noticed a difference. when i walk around barefoot in my apartment and even with flip-flops out and about, i dont really notice pain at all (unless its right after a run). i can do pretty much anything active if i stay on my toes but the second i start using my heels to absorb inpact, the pain sets in.

a LOT of the shoes you buy today have much more heel pading than toe pading making it harder to run the way your feet are built to operate. you can still buy a running shoe without going to a minimalist shoe if you think you still need the extra cushion by buying a shoe that keeps your foot more parallell to the ground via equal amounts of padding in front and rear.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in