mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Shin Splints (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/211012-shin-splints.html)

TrueTexan 08-15-2012 02:30 PM

Shin Splints

Anybody know any remedies, stretches for shin splints. I've been putting in 5-12 miles everyday on asphalt. My shins are starting to kill me. On those longer runs I take ibuprofen to dull the pain down but I figured that isn't the healthiest thing to do.

desertT1 08-15-2012 02:32 PM

My distance coach in high school was a Marine. He used to run with us in his old boots for this exact reason. If you can try this a few times a week it might help.

Stilgar 08-15-2012 02:42 PM

If you can, get your feet and shoes checked by a pro at a running shop. Good shoes will help.

If you can, change your running to a track or grass...slightly easier on the feet. At least for a little while so your shins can heal.

After a run take the time to stretch your shins, its easiest with a partner.

-Sit on the floor with your feet strait out.
-have someone pull your toes away from you while you try to pull them back to you.
-then push while they pull
-do this 3-5 times for 30 seconds each way.

Shin splints hurt but eventually the muscles in your shins get stronger.

I highly recommend looking into your shoes though, if they are old or worn out or don't fit properly they can cause issues.

alpha434 08-15-2012 05:16 PM

In my experience, it's 100% the shoes. Good shoes end all ailments when it comes to distance running.

Replace them. And don't be afraid to go to a high-end running boutique and getting custom fitted.

TrueTexan 08-15-2012 05:17 PM

I've already had my shoes fitted at the beginning of the summer, I'm just REALLY flat footed and get shin splints fairly easy. I'll give that stretch a go and see if that helps out all.

Gunz 08-15-2012 05:53 PM

I overpronate and have tried many different types of shoes. I've been to the running stores and have been given shoes specifically for my foot and how I step. The problem never went away.

When you go to these stores, they get you into shoes that make it more comfortable for you to run based on your foot type and stride. This never really addresses the problem. It's like taking cholesterol medication. It will allow you to live better for now but in the end your arteries are still clogged.

I switched to forefoot running along with minimalistic shoes. Learning to run like that takes a little getting used to until those muscles you never used before adapt. You are probably running heel to toe right now, but this makes the cushioning in your shoes to take the impact along with your shins and knees. Forefoot running takes the impact away from these areas.

I would recommend the Minimus line from New Balace and run short distances until you get used to it. The main thing is to stop landing on your heels because that is what is hurting you.

Stilgar 08-15-2012 07:56 PM

With that stretch. Keep doing it even after your shins feel better.

Hobbes 08-15-2012 08:05 PM

I had shin splint issues but they soon went away when I get a nice pair of New Balance. I have another pair that just doesn't feel as cushioned at all. You can also get cushioned socks.

As far as stretching goes it seemed to help if I push the top of my foot flat against the wall and then bend my knee forward while keeping my back straight.

Kealda 08-15-2012 08:08 PM

Throw the shoes out. I used to get shin splints so bad that I didnt even want to walk. I switched to barefoot and have had zero problems. Ease into it though. Maybe start with some vibram five fingers or other minimalistic shoes. Tens of thousands of years of evolution vs. a few decades of running shoe technology. It seems like an easy choice to me.
Do some research on running barefoot for yourself I think you will be surprised.

stolz 08-18-2012 02:31 AM

im going to buy a pair of those, i have a friend who swears by them