mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   DAM (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/211109-dam.html)

chopper duke 08-16-2012 05:14 PM

DAM

No, I didn't spell the swear word wrong. I'm talking about Digital Asset Management. If you don't have a GOOD DAM system in place, get one. Now. I had one that I thought worked for me until I learned otherwise. I'm in the middle of moving part of my pictures (~4500) into a Catalog and I'm at least 5.5 hours in with many more hours to go. That's just this one move. I don't dare think about what kind of time it's going to take me to move everything into Catalogs.

Do it now before you get buried by it like me. Just trying to help those of you who don't have a DAM system setup. Trust me. It's INVALUABLE!

Arson24 08-16-2012 05:34 PM

hmm....Would you suggest one?

chopper duke 08-16-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arson24 (Post 2446067)
hmm....Would you suggest one?

Lightroom. 4 just came out too.

Arson24 08-16-2012 05:47 PM

thanks, my trial just ran out
so i need to pick it up after work

Kermit 08-16-2012 07:53 PM

I love lightroom for that reason. I'm still using LR3, planning on getting lightroom 4 just because it's pretty much free at the price we get it at work.

chopper duke 08-16-2012 08:25 PM

With the right "pipeline" setup, it can really increase workflow. I'm a little more than halfway through putting them in collections and then I'll rate and adjust.

Mike Deep 08-16-2012 08:50 PM

Don't neglect file naming and directory structure as you catalog: File Management | dpBestflow

chopper duke 08-16-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Deep (Post 2446279)
Don't neglect file naming and directory structure as you catalog: File Management | dpBestflow

My file Hierarchy is setup like this:
1. Landing zone
2. Rate and Adjust
3. Transfer me
4. Virgin Imports

I import to the Landing Zone, and upon import, I rename. Then move to Rate and Adjust once I've put everything in the appropriate collection. In Rate and Adjust, I do just that. I Rate and Adjust to make finding files easier in the future. Once that's done, I move the files to "Transfer Me" to be backed up on once-write media (Gold Archival DVDs). Inside this folder, I make smaller folders, or buckets, the same size I put on a DVD. The folders are named in sequential order so accessing them via stored media is easier. After files are backed up, they go to the "Image Vault". They're just as accessible, but I know they're processed and archived.

Mike Deep 08-17-2012 12:11 AM

What do your file names look like?

chopper duke 08-17-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Deep (Post 2446473)
What do your file names look like?

I use this format because it's what works for me, but you can setup any format that works for you:
Lastname_Date(YYYYMMDD)_Sequence number of shot

Edit: I strongly recomend Peter Krogh's The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers