mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cheap Gaming Computer Build?

So I know little to nothing about gaming computers. What would be the cheapest I could get/put together a gaming computer for that would still be able to play high end games such as battlefield 3?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by TrueTexan; 08-22-2012 at 01:10 AM.
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Falcon guide should give you a great idea on where to start. I started with that when I first built my pc.

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
So I know little to nothing about gaming computers. What would be the cheapest I could get/put together a gaming computer for that would still be able to play high end games such as battlefield 3?
I'm budgeting $700 for my build and that will run The Old Republic, MW3 and others in that range. I can't spend tons of cash and I know I won't have all the settings maxed out, but it will be a big improvement over the computer I built in 2008.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

$700, that is still quite a bit of money. I wonder if I would be better off waiting for the xbox 720? Most of my friends play console games anyway. Falcon's guide is very helpful.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by TrueTexan; 08-22-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
$700 is a good bit of money, but in regard to gaming PC's it's on the low end honestly. I spent $585 in December of 2008 for the last PC I built and it has been able to run MW2, MW3, Lord of the Rings Online, The Old Republic, and a few other games on medium settings. I'd play a PC over console any day, but I just hate game controllers. I get slower and slower, and they add more and more buttons

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Well I guess I'm not use to pc prices. I got my xbox for 399 back in 2005.

Can somebody give me explanations on how to tell how good a gpu/cpu is? What is a mobo?
-Vince Lombardi

Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Well I guess I'm not use to pc prices. I got my xbox for 399 back in 2005.

Can somebody give me explanations on how to tell how good a gpu/cpu is? What is a mobo?
mobo = mother board

I'll let someone else explain the gpu/cpu thing, I am a novice at that.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmag11 View Post
mobo = mother board

I'll let someone else explain the gpu/cpu thing, I am a novice at that.
From a previous post.

Quote:
GPU:

GPUs are the primary workhouse in your sytem. It will be primarily responsible for what you can or can't run. There are two major manufacturers for the GPU chips, AMD ( ATI ) and Nvidia. Unlike the CPUs, you can actually use an AMD ( ATI ) GPU on an Intel motherboard. AMD GPUs are usually cheaper and you get more bang per dollar while Nvidia GPUs have higher performance, for a higher price. I'll say it right now, I think AMD is trash. Horrible quality and bad driver support. I've never seen an AMD GPU work properly or last longer than a year. Personal preference of course...

Like everything else, GPUs come in at different price points at varying degrees of performance. It's simple once you know what all of the different prefixes and numbers mean. GTX is the best for gaming and they are also the most expensive. GTS and GT models are by far cheaper but you won't get as much performance when playing graphic intensive games.

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 08-22-2012 at 07:05 PM.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Cool. My final question is, would it be worth waiting until black friday to start on this build?
-Vince Lombardi

Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Cool. My final question is, would it be worth waiting until black friday to start on this build?
just build now, all the worthy deals for black friday pretty much require you to be first in line anyway. they might even be on the last weeks of sales right now on account of back to school, just bought a laptop for the parents for cheap this monday.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in