mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Un Tico

35mm lens question

any of you use film lens on a digital lens. I have read some stuff saying that you can and usually don't have any issues/problems. but wanted to see if any of you have done/use them. I have a canon T3 that i would like to try one or two manual lens with. any experience, advice or thought you would like to add would be great.
thanks
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Are you talking about mounting an FD lens on your T3?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The T3 will use any lens with an EF or EF-S mount, regardless of when it was made. The lens does not care what senor media it is directing the light to, all the lens does is bend the light to a focus on a sensor field. Digital or film, the lens cares not.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Canon *manual* lenses? If you're thinking of an old Canon FD mount, you'll need an adaptor to allow it to attach and function on an EOS system camera.
This

check ebay for it
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Un Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Canon *manual* lenses? If you're thinking of an old Canon FD mount, you'll need an adaptor to allow it to attach and function on an EOS system camera.
That's going from FD to EF mount right? Eos film also use EF mount, and seems there are a few options lens wise for the eos film cameras that are manual.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yes, FD mounts are the really old lenses, and are all manual focus. They can be nice (Used with an adaptor on EOS cameras) but can also be a real pain to focus properly because the modern cameras lack a focusing screen that works well with them. (Some bodies can be upgraded.)

And yes, there were older fully manual EF lenses from my understanding.

EF is the connector type, which projects an image circle for a full frame sensor. It doesn't matter if it was made in the 1980s, or last week, they are all the same mount standard, and should work. (Some of the newest lenses may not function on the oldest bodies for all I know. No clue if they had full backwards compatibility with the newest lens designs.)

EF-S is its related brother that projects an image circle usable only on a crop sensor. (the x1.6 crops, not sure about the 1.3 1D series.)

Manual focus can be annoying to use on modern cameras, especially the smaller crop sensors due to their smaller size and dimmer views. Doesn't matter if they are adapted FD socket, or the few fully manual EF lenses. If you really want to get into them, then consider looking at a manual focus screen for your camera. I've read some of the bodies have fairly decent options for this upgrade.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Nikon user: Yuppers. I have a couple lenses i use on my D7000 that are 30+ years old. Have a few that are about 15 years old that I got when i was shooting strictly film, work flawlessly on the D7000....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

There are no manual focus EF mount lenses except for the MP-E 65mm and TS-E (Tilt-shift) lenses.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Random side note. Did a bit of digging on this last night, because I'm a geek who also likes history and had too much coffee too late in the day yesterday.

So, in the past I have come across a number of references to "Old EF-M lenses that were fully manual, but still an EF lens mount" online. This however after further reading and digging for information on this subject it appears that what I was previously lead to believe is completely wrong.

EF-M was actually a camera, one of the early film Rebels stripped of its auto focus and sold for a few years before being quietly swept under the rug and forgotten as a horrible idea.

Oddly enough, now I want one.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Canon has a few of those horrible ideas under the rug. Both the autofocus-only 100-200 f4.5A and the 35-80 Power Zoom come to mind. Both are ghastly ideas that luckily never went anywhere.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in