mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Anyone use a Nikon 18-200?

Just checking around to see if anyone uses this lense. Been looking at it for a while and am about to drop the 650 or so for a refurbished one, i think they're 850 new. Later in life i will have my 70-200 2.8 but i figured for now just for novice stuff this would hold me over since currenly i dont have a low zoom lense, lowest i have is my 35mm 1.8.

[Nikon] Zoom Lenses AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR II 1year Warranty | eBay

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass N Wood Fan
are you getting it just to have a zoom or for the 200mm focal length? if you just want a nice zoom tamron makes a beautiful 17-50 1:2.8 that I used for a long time.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongbloke View Post
are you getting it just to have a zoom or for the 200mm focal length? if you just want a nice zoom tamron makes a beautiful 17-50 1:2.8 that I used for a long time.
Well i mostly wanted it for the low end zoom, the 18mm side. I already have a cheapy nikon 55-200 that i use. Though i figured if i could get one lense to go from 18-200 it would be easier to take around. Yes i know usually the more a lense does, the less it does one thing well.

And i'll look into that tamaron, i've just been beat over the head so much lately to buy only nikon stuff, and stay away from 3rd party. I'd love to buy only 2.8 nikon lenses but those are way out of my price range for just amature stuff.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Forget Tamron; if you want that range, the 18-200mm AF-S Nikkor is a better lens. I used to own one when I had a DX camera. I ditched it on account of distortion but it was sharp and fast.
Same. I had one a little over three years ago I believe. If you shot anything with horizontal or vertical lines in the pic you would notice some pretty heavy distortion across all focal lengths, much more pronounced when shooting wide, I found. Both barrel and pincushion. Had some zoom creep, not a huge deal in my books. At about the mid range, 105-135mm I found it soft, pushed out to its max it got sharp again.

Some things caught my eye with the lens when I first looked at it, which is why I bought it. Metal mount as opposed to plastic, and mine had a rubber seal around the mount which helps a little with dust/moisture. Internal focus, I like pedal hoods over bayonet hoods. The focal length I thought would be super useful, but after finding distortion while shooting wide, softness while in the middle...I ended up using the lens basically pushed out all the time.

That was probably close to 4 years ago, and the first one I had I brought back and swapped with another which had the same problems. Sold it a few months later. I'd check some newer reviews if you can, see if Nikon has fixed some of these issues. If they did, I may contemplate buying a new one again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I have heard the 18-200 is very soft at 18 millimeters....but I haven't ever used one.

Just chiming that in.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
It's a very nice lens, and I've owned 2 copies of it. It is not, however, worth the money. The "Kit" 18-105 lens will give you a lot more mileage for the dollar. If you need something longer, let me know. I have a 70-300 (Non VR), but the better quality one that we could work a deal on!

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in