mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Who has tried Windows 8 yet? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/213665-who-has-tried-windows-8-yet.html)

redlaser666 09-16-2012 06:26 PM

Who has tried Windows 8 yet?

I just had a chance to play a bit with the pre-release version of Win8 and I must say it is nice!

I did like that it feels fast and streamlined. It is also easy to use for non techy people.

Anyone else tested it out?

Marauder_Pilot 09-16-2012 07:09 PM

I hate everything about it.

If given the chance to stop Hitler or the development of Windows 8, I'll pick 8 every time.

Z3R0 09-16-2012 07:35 PM

Looks great... if you are using a touchscreen. If you have a keyboard and a mouse/trackpad, well, it looks like ****.

redlaser666 09-16-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot (Post 2476692)

If given the chance to stop Hitler or the development of Windows 8, I'll pick 8 every time.

Maybe he is the one behind Win8 :)

91Foxtrot 09-16-2012 10:06 PM

I have not used it, but my brother says that you couldn't pay him to install Win8 on a machine.

Listessa 09-16-2012 10:12 PM

I'm really interested to hear what people have to say about it.

I don't like touchscreens at all, so I was very disappointed when I read a bit about Windows 8 being basically created around the touchscreen.

Is there anything in particular you guys can name that makes it irritating with the mouse or trackpad? What in particular makes it easy for non-techie people? Is it similar to the way Apple's OS works?

Does it look as rounded and happy/perky as much of Apple's stuff?

Falcon16 09-16-2012 10:30 PM

played around with an RTM buil....BLECH I have a feeling this will be another Windows ME. Granted you can switch to the regular UI but still the default is enough to turn most users of non touch screen devices off the OS

redlaser666 09-17-2012 12:13 AM

I did feel the need to touch the screen whenever the start screen came up, but the computer it was on wasn't touch enabled :(

I think it will be a great Tablet OS, but desktop adoption will be limited.

CrazyBoy78 09-17-2012 10:05 PM

The thing I hated the most was that there was such a vast change when you go from the desktop to the "Start" menu (or whatever Metro's being called now - if it's still being called that). You go from familiar to WTF in no time flat. I work in IT support, so I see all sorts of configurations but I had a really tough time trying to figure out any sort of discernible pattern to the madness.

My verdict: Win8 - great for a tablet but total arse for anything else. Skip it. But it loads really fast...

mpsd 09-17-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot (Post 2476692)

For a jew who works for Microsoft, reading this was pretty disturbing to say the least.

Anyways, I've been using it since it RTM'd about a month and a half ago on my work notebook (a Core i7 with 8Gb of RAM and no touch screen). It does take time for you to get used to it. As someone said above, the new Modern UI looks great but doesn't work that great with a mouse and keyboard.

BUT, it's way faster than 7 (which was already fast) and having a full PC, it lets you use the old desktop, which makes it just great.

Again, even though I work for Microsoft, I'm being very honest here. With that I have two things to say:

1- Try it but don't do it too briefly. Take some time with it and you will probably like it.
2- If you are planning on buying new hardware, wait to buy something with a touch-screen. It'll absolutely be worth the wait.

Apart from that, the simplified licensing makes it a great, great buy for companies as now the Pro version already comes with a LOT of features that were previously exclusive to the Enterprise one (for example, encryption).

I do recommend it. And not only because I work there.