mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #101 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

UGH!!! delayed while they fix some ****... brutal!!! I have been waiting all day to get home for this

edit: downloading, apparently if you still have Beta 3 installed you can update, or use your original installer launcher file to get it going. YEA!!!!

Last edited by ApoC_101; 12-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #102 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I recommend waiting for the XP/leveling patch before proceeding, right now the account server / service seems bugged and doesn't track match results properly.

Game does feel like a beta.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #103 (permalink)

it honestly feels all around rougher at times than the previous betas, although they went through some tough times after big changes too... they made a ton of changes for this launch version (not sure if I would have done the same for the public launch, but oh well). Managed to get some missile assault games in last night, got up to level 3 on my SS mech, and tricked it out in the garage real nice with my baller-level meteor credits (thanks to vanguard silver and alpha testing). won't get to play tonight, probably not until next week due to a busy weekend... no doubt it will be going very smooth by then (they fix issues in Hawken quickly... excellent dev team).
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #104 (permalink)

Heads up: All the annoying bugs and glitches from Open Beta launch seem to have been fixed, the last couple times I've played have been FREAKIN AWESOME. I'll be online after work tonight for a few hours to get some levelling done on my primary mech
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #105 (permalink)
Post Whore

Im liking it so far, but im kind of disappointed that there is no joystick/trackir support... As well as no independent torso rotation. same with MWO...
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #106 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Apparently there will be Oculus Rift support for hawken. Generally though, it's not simulation-like, so expect a simplified game feel.

As for open beta, the matchmaker seems much improved, but that could be just due to the influx of players. I'm disappointed the server browser isn't back, and I'd still rather be playing siege on a 32 player server.

Speaking of siege, it's better than Closed Beta 3's version, but still not as good as CB2. Wish they'd just revert it to that state. Right now Missile maps are where I'm having the most fun.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #107 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Played on some of the newer maps on Team DM and I'm not impressed - the maps tested in alpha were fine - one of the new maps is atrocious.

It's light has a dark brown hue, like lots of rusted metal (not bad but feels flat).
It's basically a series of rooms, mostly with little obstacles inside, separated by choke points and narrow passages.
Fights devolve into two teams lobbing projectiles at each other with little room to dodge, and if you want to bypass the choke point and hit their flank it takes way too long.
Worst map in the game by far.

One other map is used for both Rocket and DM and it's very vertical, but has quite a bit more workable cover. It's less bad, but still feels like it's not designed for the Hawken mech movement. I don't like the jump pads and the inability to dodge mid-air - the predictability and slowness at the end of that trajectory is often a death trap.

There are other things that make me not want to play the game -

The matchmaking is terrible - I hate not being able to select specific servers as an option, and that there is no team queue yet.
The game keeps warning me that if I leave a room it's counted as a loss (where?) even after putting me with a team playing the final seconds of a match and losing.
I want options - perhaps I have the time to wait for a brand new match, perhaps someone that can't wait should take the risks.

Numbers - where are they? There used to be numbers showing weapon damage - gone. There should be a window in the garage showing ALL the stats of your mech/pilot and how each item alters them.
They intentionally keep the stats hidden, not shown even as an advanced-view option. Why?!

The item that creates ghost-indicators on radar shouldn't be in the game.
There is no counter to it, no action that is forced - you just suffer the effect if you walk into it's huge AoE and the device is too easy to hide (or replace if by some bad luck it's found).

It's a good example of many other instances of bad design decisions around an otherwise great concept - mindless items and consumables that don't offer any choices or require thinking. The consumables (that you get stacks of 15 at the start and cost an arm and a leg to use) provide big advantages in higher level fights without requiring any pilot input. For example - the EMP immunity just fires off automatically when you get hit by one. Sure it's once per death, but an EMP often means death anyway.

The other thing that bothers me is the way they are asking for money - feels like the microtransactions nickle and dime you like the worst examples of that system. It's an MP only game that isn't a monopoly over the game type, so it's price should be around $20.

Hawken costs $10 per month to play with an XP or Coin boost, and $20/month for both.
It should have been $5/month each at most, making "premium". or both, $10/month.

Mech prices seem fine right now, at $5 per, but then you discover that gameplay related customization options add to the cost, and unlocking from within the game slow.

Then there are the prices on changing the looks... but that's where such a game should earn some profit so I don't mind that too much. Still it would be nice if the price range started from Cents before progressing to Dollars - especially considering many similar unlocks are still per-mech and not per-account.

What bothers me the most though is not the price - but the bad/mediocre new maps and some of the mindlessness in the consumables and special items.

Hope that's resolved by "Release", whenever that may be.

Last edited by Tenet; 12-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #108 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I agree that the "Alleys" map is a POS. That said, one of your problems might just be the fact that you're sticking with the deathmatch modes. In my experience they're the weakest elements of Hawken. The objective-based game types are much more fun, and the static spawn points let you make use of the maps in a real strategic way that is lost in TDM. Siege has been nerfed a bit since I fell in love with it in CB2 but is still fairly good. Missile is easily the most fun in the game right now.

As for the microtransaction thing...it took me about 2 hours to level up to 15, and I can pretty much hold my own even now that they've seemingly bumped me up a bracket in the matchmaker. I haven't bought a single thing for my Rookie TV mech.

I like the fact that you can continue to play on the same mech once it caps at 25, and put that XP towards other mechs.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #109 (permalink)

Alleys... is that the one with lots of tight bottlenecks and hallways? Love that map, took a while to get into it but it's totally awesome once you figure out the layout.

edit: NM it's uptown map I'm thinking of.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 12-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #110 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Alleys - I learned the layout after the first match, it's that simple and dumbed down compared to the others. It's a Heavy-Camper's dream, or a nightmare if your team is made up of lemmings who just charge into the other group of choke-point campers.

I play mostly Missile, just tried some T-DM today.

There's no problem with TV-Mech, since it's basically an Assault.
My only gripe is that I can't equip the Flak (shotgun), the Assault/SMG is basically the same weapon type, and the Vulcan unlock is at the 25 level cap.
I do find the coolant ability quite useless, since overheating with such weapons is often "doing it wrong" anyway.

I saw a Scout player go 25:2 in a match, then 12:3 in the next as opponents started hunting for him, because of how ridiculous a well played TOW+Flak can get.

I want to unlock the HE Grenade or EMP to have an offensive item: 3800 coins each or 432 meteor (~ $4, and I was mistaken, the price of each Mech is ~$7.5 base).

Unboosted account gains are about 100 points per win, putting it above 40 matches to get one such item unlock (or wait 80 matches and get a different Chassis?).
Again, it's not that I don't want to pay at all - I just feel like the price for such an unlock should have been $1-2 at most, not 4, and the price of each Chassis should be $3-4, not 7.

A game like World of Tanks can get away with being horribly overpriced because it's a unique title and a monopoly - there is no competition for that player-base yet.
A game like Hawken has many competitors with very similar game styles.

Last edited by Tenet; 12-17-2012 at 07:11 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in