mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #121 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

During alpha we could hit a button and select a server from a list, like in most other FPS games.

In Blacklight Retribution, a competing FPS on Steam, you can chose to sort by "Newbie Only" servers where only Level 1-10 are allowed. Hawken would have to track account-based level for that to work - but they have all the components in place. It's not a perfect system, but it works most of the time in toning down the harshness of the introduction to the competition in the game.
Not sure why every time a new game is released we should remind developers about basic features.

I'll try to end on a positive note - Hawken has some great gameplay, and still draws me in despite everything I wrote.

It's definitely one of the better recent beta-releases.

Last edited by Tenet; 12-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #122 (permalink)
MCB Member

Im not convinced that maxed level mechs are that significantly better than rookie mechs.
Held my own, one on one, against those in DM and Siege matches, and seen plenty of matches where they dont make into the top 3 in any category. I think most of em are simply bought to win, and that apparently doesnt work, a noob in a maxed out mech, is still a noob.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #123 (permalink)
Banned

well, my team had everyone who didn't know how to click the ready button except for me and another guy...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #124 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I have to agree, team balance is a HUGE issue with Hawken right now. Some matches are unplayable for my team, and we all just quit.

When you get in a good match it's a blast though. I never seemed to have these issues this often in Closed Beta 2, and I think the 32 player servers made it super hard to have imbalanced teams.

This definitely feels like an unfinished game right now. Usually when you see open betas things are a little more worked out, but I'm optimistic that they'll figure it out.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #125 (permalink)
Banned

i just took down some pay-2-winner with my rinky dink recruit bot. twice in a row. after taking care of another recruit. HAH
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #126 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wonder if the pilot record points, have anything to do with the matchmaking... But that what should be shown, rather than the mech level.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #127 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i just took down some pay-2-winner with my rinky dink recruit bot. twice in a row. after taking care of another recruit. HAH
you're kidding right? there are no P2Wers in this game... the most powerful mech is the recuit mech (and it's much easier to level than anything else). the only thing you pay for in this game is to look cool and add some aggro... you can also unlock other mechs quicker but none of them are more powerful than the recruit mech (comparing apples to apples of course... a skilled pilot with the lvl 25 recruit mech will beat an equally skilled pilot with any other mech, most of the time, mathematically according to stats). The reason to use other mechs is to diversify your playstyle and take advantage of the game differently (I specialize with the SS mech and it does a great job). I paid 30 bucks for Vanguard and meteor points, it doesn't make me win more than anyone else, including skilled players with recruit mech and zero dollars invested.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #128 (permalink)
Banned

well then he paid to like a big beautiful target for me to uglify!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #129 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I gotta take a screenshot of my SS mech... it's pretty slick looking. will look even cooler once they unlock the vanguard parts for use on other mechs, the vanguard booster engines shoot FIRE out like you wouldn't believe... so cool. looks like an oxy-acetylene torch when you turn down the oxygen
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #130 (permalink)
Banned

imagine having to earn it all over again once the game is out of beta.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in