mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

EVE Online

So I downloaded the demo last night for EVE after wanted more spacefare in my blood. Read good things about it. Wow, I am completely disappointed with it. Sure the graphics were great and the idea behind it was cool, but it was so utterly boring. "Click here, wait to fly here, train for this". Couldn't play it longer then 30 minutes.

O well back to FTL...

Anyone have any other great spacefaring games to recommend? Computer or xbox. I loved the Mass Effect series, FTL is a good time passer. How is Sins of a Solar Empire? Read good things. Do you have free control to fly your ship wherever you want? Or contrained to clickable items like EVE?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Eve is fun but it's a steep learning curve and takes time to learn the mechanics. It's complex with a lot of action outside the high security zones.Sins is an rts on a more massive scale. You colonize planets andbuild fleets.
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

EVE online is also a very social game. If you try playing it all by yourself then it is going to be dull as watching grey paint dry on a battleship. It is very fun when you are in voice chat with half a dozen friends and working together.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
yea i tried a while back as well, like a few months ago. Boring as hell with no friends, lots of waiting, i kinda loled when i went oh what the hey and went to see how long it would take to reach the edge of the game galaxy, would have taken like 200something jumps, each jump an average of a few minutes each.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, not a small game world. Personally I love the design for the fact that so much of it is player driven and the playerbase isn't divided by a ton of server shards. Just sadly, not an easy game to get into.

But mining while studying works wonderfully. Group of my friends would get together and gather resources while quizzing each other on class topics. Fun way to waste time while not wasting time.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
an oldie but goodie, check out Decent Freespace and Freespace 2. Probably the greatest space shooters to date. Ever wanted to fly next to a 2km long battlecruiser in scale? DONE

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Freelancer is awesome and one of my favourite space games ever. Lots of mods for it too so it as a lot of replay value (the Discovery mod RP servers are really kickass too).

SOASE: Rebellion is outstanding as well, if you like RTS type action. We play it a lot, it's honestly the best space RTS there is (I prefer it to starcraft as well).

You might also like Homeworld if you like FTL.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I enjoy the X3 series quite a bit, however It can be difficult to learn at first as there is no tutorial.

The Combat can be a little too easy at times so I suggest focusing on the economic aspects of the game. Acquire cash, invest in factories, expand your fleet.

There is no online play though so I hope you enjoy playing by yourself.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Autocannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Freelancer is awesome and one of my favourite space games ever. Lots of mods for it too so it as a lot of replay value (the Discovery mod RP servers are really kickass too).

SOASE: Rebellion is outstanding as well, if you like RTS type action. We play it a lot, it's honestly the best space RTS there is (I prefer it to starcraft as well).

You might also like Homeworld if you like FTL.

Freelancer is one of my favourite games of all time. If you loved freelancer give Tachyon: The Fringe a try, really similar gameplay....but the main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

nice, never played that game but I remember seeing it
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in