mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
I'd go with a used t2i to be honest. Not enough has changed in that line to justify the price in my honest opinion.
T3i has the screen that swings out. There has been a few occasions where that has been a useful feature to me. T4i is not really an improvement to the T3i. All the used T2i's I've seen are people asking almost the same as a new T3i, T2i's seem to be the 98C of photography...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Hold a Rebel before you commit to one. The tiny size doesn't agree with some hands.

For less money than a recent model Rebel, you could get a 40D, which will trounce any Rebel in speed and accuracy.

But the best advice I'd give you is don't try to max out your budget here. Spend as little a possible and figure out whether this kind of photography is for you. Because of size and complexity, DSLRs are not just something to casually take photos with. You must know what you are doing if that bulky camera is going to hold any advantage over an iPhone.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
Hold a Rebel before you commit to one. The tiny size doesn't agree with some hands.

For less money than a recent model Rebel, you could get a 40D, which will trounce any Rebel in speed and accuracy.

But the best advice I'd give you is don't try to max out your budget here. Spend as little a possible and figure out whether this kind of photography is for you. Because of size and complexity, DSLRs are not just something to casually take photos with. You must know what you are doing if that bulky camera is going to hold any advantage over an iPhone.
I personally have loved the feel of every Rebel I have held thus far, in fact I find the opposite, I find that the larger camera's feel very large and bulky in my hands. I really like the Rebel, but I have not done much reading into anything else out there. I basically say, Nikon has screwed me/my father in the past, Sony is Sony and I really don't like them as a company, and the others are ones I have never heard of and don't seem to get good reviews on places like dpreview.

I also agree, it was $1000 max not $1000. I'm willing to go up to that if there is a nice deal with a few lenses. In terms of size and complexity the "Prosumer" models such as the Rebel appeal to me since they tend to be on the smaller side of things thus making it better for more spontaneous photography. I'm not looking for something to take with me to a club, I'd rather not document every second of my life with pictures, so I would really only have it for when I want to take a good photograph. The point here is also that I wish to learn what I am doing, my cousin is a Pro photographer and has been for quite some time (read before I was born) so my phone is not an adequate device.

My father had some old Nikon lenses from his university days, but I think those all went to my uncle when he bought his D90.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys_JR View Post
I don't know about $1000 getting me pretty far... I really like the T3i but to buy it new I'm looking at around $1200 to get the kit with the lens. Even used I'm looking at around $850-$950 for something like that. The other thing is I don't like to settle on things like this, I want to get something that will suit my needs and I can use until it all but disintegrates.

I'm mostly interested in taking pictures of action (like hockey, "handegg" or paintball) and some large scenic stuff. One thing I absolutely hated was going to Hawaii' and hiking the Caldera in Volcano National Park and only having an old crappy P&S.

@Monty can you elaborate on renting? I've never really heard of renting photography equipment.
A lot of camera shops let you rent anything, boxes, lenses, flashes, lamps, etc,etc. I don't mean to learn on a rental but once you've narrowed down your selection to a few, you can always try to rent a lens or box that your curious about to "try before you buy". Sometimes you need to hold and take a few shots to see if something is right with you.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

to shoot sports well, youll need a pretty decent lens. my 70-200 f/2.8 without image stabilization ran me ~1400 bucks. you can always shoot with other lenses but then you need a camera that can handle higher ISO's better.

heres a good deal
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Here's a question:

Have Canon's always used the same mount? My uncle bought a Nikon D90 and my father had some old Nikon lenses from his university photography days and they worked with the new D90. If I were to get a Canon would I be able to do the same thing? I have been looking around the used sites and I've noticed people sell lenses for much cheaper with old film cameras then they do just the lenses themselves.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

No. Canon changed their mount from FD to EF mounts in 1987. Nikon hasn't ever changed the mount, so manual lenses will still work.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
No. Canon changed their mount from FD to EF mounts in 1987. Nikon hasn't ever changed the mount, so manual lenses will still work.
Hmm might go for a Nikon for that reason...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys_JR View Post
Hmm might go for a Nikon for that reason...
Nikons are more backwards compatible with Nikon lenses...

but Canons are more backwards compatible with assorted lenses mounted using adapters. You can use M42, Olympus, K-mount among others. Also...duct tape.

To use many of those on Nikons, you need an adapter with a glass element to gain infinity focus. The Canons can generally do without one.

Last edited by russc; 10-04-2012 at 09:09 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
for $1000 I'd a good investment would be a used T2i and then spend the extra money you save buying used and put it into lenses. Heck I shoot a Rebel XTi and I've realized that lenses mean FAR more to my photography then the body. I've often thought about going to a higher end body and i've realized the only reason I would be for perhaps faster AF or perhaps better high ISO performance or shutter speed. Other than that I'd say lenses are what to blow your cash on. For example right now I'm looking to upgrading my zoom lens and I know for a fact I'll probably spend $500-600 on a lens. Though with that said the first lens I would recommend buying is a 50mm. Either canon or nikon you can get a F1.8 50mm for $100 for so. Amazing portrait lenses and worth I would say personally far more than $100-120 you'll spend on it.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in