mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

If you want to be really serious about learning and not playing, a Rebel XT/XTi runs <$200 used now. The rest can go into lenses, or not--say you pick up an 18-55 IS ($75-100) and stop there until you get a feel for it. There is nothing included in newer models that would help you learn how to shoot.

After you've already dropped $1000 is a bad time to realize something isn't really up your alley.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deep View Post
If you want to be really serious about learning and not playing, a Rebel XT/XTi runs <$200 used now. The rest can go into lenses, or not--say you pick up an 18-55 IS ($75-100) and stop there until you get a feel for it. There is nothing included in newer models that would help you learn how to shoot.

After you've already dropped $1000 is a bad time to realize something isn't really up your alley.
QFT. This man is on the ball. If you have no clue what you're doing other than point and shoot spending $1000 won't make you a better photographer. Personally I learned in high school by taking a course that covered it all. Exposure mechanics,using lighting and other visual cues in your pictures, the rule of 1/3's using depth of field and other tricks and last but not least I learned to develop my own film. If you start off with a film SLR what you'll find once you step up to digital is that you'll instinctively know what makes a great shot and if everything is right in the setting right away. With that said if you find photography isn't for you it's better to learn at $300 versus $1000.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

And another note on the lens vs body issue: Lenses hold their value insanely well for the most part, assuming you aren't rough with them. Bodies, become out dated as they are quickly out done by features and ability of newer models. (More pixels, higher dynamic range, etc.) Good glass today is still good glass tomorrow, and is unlikely to greatly improve in areas that really matter.

Personally I do not believe that film will teach you anything that digital can't, or that it will teach you any faster or better. In fact I firmly believe that learning on film is vastly worse and harder than with digital due to the lack of information it offers you, and the limited feedback. With digital you can pull the camera out and experiment in ways that you would likely be inclined to avoid if shooting film.

All the settings you use are readily stored and easy to review with digital. What lens did you use? What shutter speed? ISO? Aperture? It is all right there in the file for you to look at sometime later in the future. Film? Best hope your notebook is in order.

You get instant feedback and data on the image, Histogram, and being able to tether and review the whole image in detail as you're working, and can evaluate yourself as you experiment. "I think f/2.8, 1/500th, and ISO 100 will work... Opps, guess I should bump that around to f/2.0 and 1/1000th instead to get the effect I'm really looking for." Film? "Do I take a spread of shots, and hope I get them in order with my notes, or just pray this works and I'll try again next weekend if I'm wrong?"
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yes to all the above.

I am hesitant to go with a XT/XTi as it does not offer all the features I would "like" to have. The T3i gives me essentially everything I wanted and if I could find one used for less than they are new (insert multiple curse words) I would be very happy. I could settle for a T2i but again those are more expensive used than a T3i can be had for new... And I just can't justify going $650 in for just the body, $650 with some lense(s) and I would be happier.

As I had stated earlier for $1000 I better get some good glass as well. I don't need many of the professional features on the higher end bodies and really don't want to pay for them right now.

Thanks for the input all, I am cruising the used sites local to me for good candidates.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Those are both good options. With newer cameras like then T3i you get better noise performance and better screens. I like my Nikon D5000, but the screen is crap so its hard to judge pictures out in the field. I recall the T3i having a pretty nice screen.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
I really don't like to buy used digital bodies unless they are REALLY cheap...it's just hard to know what the last owner may have done or what issues the thing may conceal. Both Adorama and BHphoto sell used items which are maybe a few bucks more than you can get off Craigslist BUT they allow returns for like a month if you aren't completely satisfied...this works well for lenses, too. I bought and returned to examples of the OLD 12-24mm f4 DX lens Nikon made before getting one with smooth zoom action...

KEH, too, for that matter...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in