mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Looking for a camera

So I may have some spare $$ and I've always wanted a half decent camera to take pictures with. I'm not looking to make it a profession or anything serious but I would like to be able to take some nice photos.

I'm looking for something that is hobbyist oriented.
Not super expensive - ~$1000 max should get me fully set up, although I am open to getting stuff used
Something that I can learn on - I have never really used much more than a P&S
I'd rather stay away from Nikon - have had bad experiences with them breaking and taking forever to be repaired in the past

Any recommendations?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

$1000? that should get you pretty far!

start looking at craigslist in your area for canon 30D's or 40D's. people will usually sell them with a 28-135mm lens for a decent price.this would be a pretty good deal and a great lens as well...

what are you looking at shooting more?
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

exactly what he said, I do not have any experience with Canon so id say look for Sony alphas or NEX's instead, either way buying used is usually a good way to go.

Do your friends have Cameras? if so think about getting the same brand as them so you can borrow/trade lenses
Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

1000$ is serious money, you can get a camera and some basic items. Think what type of photography you want to do portrait, outdoors, action, events, everything in the middle. (filters, tripods, flashes, bag, strap).

If you really have no brand bias, I would strongly recommend you rent. It will cost you less in the long run.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

If you are wanting a little more camera for the money, go used and look for something like a 10/20/30/40/50D. That entire line is an amazing series of cameras for the money that you will probably not "out grow" in a few months.

If you can find one with the kit lens, the 28-135, do it. The 28-135 is a great little all-around lens. Pair that with a nifty 50 or something similar and you'll have a great all-around camera for about any job.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

To start out with I picked up a used 40D body and a nifty fifty, soon after a 70-300 tamron and more recently a 17-40L.
You can probably guess how much farther your dollar will go when you go lightly used/used.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know about $1000 getting me pretty far... I really like the T3i but to buy it new I'm looking at around $1200 to get the kit with the lens. Even used I'm looking at around $850-$950 for something like that. The other thing is I don't like to settle on things like this, I want to get something that will suit my needs and I can use until it all but disintegrates.

I'm mostly interested in taking pictures of action (like hockey, "handegg" or paintball) and some large scenic stuff. One thing I absolutely hated was going to Hawaii' and hiking the Caldera in Volcano National Park and only having an old crappy P&S.

@Monty can you elaborate on renting? I've never really heard of renting photography equipment.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Renting equipment is OK if you just need a piece of gear for a certain job. I've rented a few lenses in the past, but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to pay $80 every week to rent a camera that you're just learning to use.

And $1200 is pretty steep for a T3i. I got my 7D with a 28-135 for $1400.

Edit: Sports on a budget? Get a used 70-300 for a couple hundred bucks and you'll get a good feel for what you need should you decide to upgrade.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Renting equipment is OK if you just need a piece of gear for a certain job. I've rented a few lenses in the past, but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to pay $80 every week to rent a camera that you're just learning to use.

And $1200 is pretty steep for a T3i. I got my 7D with a 28-135 for $1400.

Edit: Sports on a budget? Get a used 70-300 for a couple hundred bucks and you'll get a good feel for what you need should you decide to upgrade.
I guess now that the T4i has been released the T3i has dropped in price. But to give you an idea of what I am looking at: T4i
Then you have to add like 13% tax ontop of that...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I'd go with a used t2i to be honest. Not enough has changed in that line to justify the price in my honest opinion.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in