mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   iPad POS apps (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/215072-ipad-pos-apps.html)

fullofpaint 10-02-2012 10:30 PM

iPad POS apps

Anyone have any experience with running iPad Point-of-sale apps? Our family runs a food trailer a part of our business, and some of the fairs are requiring registers next year. We'd like to maximize our counter space and using iPads rather than traditional registers seem like a much better choice. Don't need cash registers or even to be able to process CC's, just a way to track what we sell and show it to the fair every day. Looking for any tips, tricks, specific apps, etc.

Arson24 10-10-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullofpaint (Post 2492774)
Anyone have any experience with running iPad Point-of-sale apps? Our family runs a food trailer a part of our business, and some of the fairs are requiring registers next year. We'd like to maximize our counter space and using iPads rather than traditional registers seem like a much better choice. Don't need cash registers or even to be able to process CC's, just a way to track what we sell and show it to the fair every day. Looking for any tips, tricks, specific apps, etc.

I know there is a paypal device that you can swipe credit cards for POS situations.
I looking into it at the moment, there is an app download with the device also
that works as a paypal on site

also back to basics you can just use the note pad to mark down what you have sold and then screen capture and send it to the people

noclue119 10-10-2012 02:57 PM

Squared up?

super_stanchy 10-10-2012 03:02 PM

So the Square POS system.... not secure

you can hack it with a basic smartphone

as a merchant, you can be liable for up to 20,000 in restitution

there are a few other companies who make them tooo
First Date (secured, but slightly higher fees)
Paypal (secured, but i dont think its released yet)

If you just want to have a list of what you sell... would a notebook work?

1 _____ $5
1 _____ $3

the idea from the fair to track this is cool...
making it easy to decipher at the end of the day could be tricky

idk im subscribin cuz i wanna know your outcom on this :D

Reloadro 10-12-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_stanchy (Post 2500291)
So the Square POS system.... not secure

you can hack it with a basic smartphone

sorry, not meaning to derail this thread, but this is shocking to me.....is this for the "Square" app (iphones) AND the "Square Register" app (iPads)? im a huge fan of square due to its ease of use, lack of paper receipts, and zero monthly fees...

super_stanchy 10-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloadro (Post 2502157)
sorry, not meaning to derail this thread, but this is shocking to me.....is this for the "Square" app (iphones) AND the "Square Register" app (iPads)? im a huge fan of square due to its ease of use, lack of paper receipts, and zero monthly fees...

yup

there is a youtube clip where a guy hacks one to show how easy it is....

uv_halo 10-12-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super_stanchy (Post 2502183)
yup

there is a youtube clip where a guy hacks one to show how easy it is....

Can you add more info to this?

I searched google for hacks and everything I found was not something targeting a merchant but, rather misusing the square device as a card skimmer, etc.

Your comments lead me to believe that If I were a merchant using square- that somehow a hacker would be able to exploit my square device / software to take advantage of me, or my customers.

noclue119 10-12-2012 12:25 PM

Are you referring to the hacking part because the card's info can be represented by a Audio tone and thus easy to skim?

fullofpaint 10-16-2012 09:19 PM

oh hey, someone finally responded! haha

Square doesn't really work for us, because we're all cash, credit cards are an extra fee/take too long/more hassle/take your pick. We may tack it on at some point, but it just eats into our profits, and we have very few people who want to pay with a card, then walk away when they can't.

Notebook doesn't work either because the whole point of the registers from the fair's standpoint is to have a list of what we sold, so they make sure we're paying the correct percentage to them, not skimming off the top. Obviously it's pretty easy to cheat the system with a register as well, but that's how they want it.