mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
I ride a single, plan on getting a better one though. My area is FILLED with hills so its hard, but its amazing to use in the city.
Until you can't stop.

I'm glad to see all the pictures here have have brakes on them. Around here, none of them use brakes and I'm not sure how they don't die. I deliver jimmy johns on a bike around campus and it's definitely the way to go, especially in high traffic/low speed areas. I can go so many places that a car can't.

On a side note, I've ridden fixies and I can see the benefit of them, but I prefer riding a normal bike, I've been doing it all my life and I don't think i could make the adjustment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I wish I could ride a bike to work. I've only got a 2.5-mile commute, but between having to wear a suit and it never getting cooler than the mid-70's (even that only lasting a month or so), it's just completely impractical. =(
My dad, who is 56 years old or so, rides 10 miles to and from work every day unless it's terrible weather, to his engineering job at Delphi. Apparently He changes in the bathroom when he gets there. If he can do that, surely you can muster 2.5

Last edited by martix_agent; 10-04-2012 at 08:51 PM.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

I actually own two (one is my mom's but I call it mine) and I rock one no brakes, just use the pedals. The other has the front break, but who uses that anyway!

Key thing to your bike build is what terrain will you be riding? City, or just around your neighborhood?

Last edited by Kanas; 10-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

i guess its kindof a mix of both. since i live so close to work its technically still neighborhood but the roads arent the nicest. i cant remember whos wheels i was considering but after talking with a rep and figuring out that the widest wheels i cant put on the rim were 32's and that was kindof pushing it i decided to go somewhere else for my daily bike.

my track build will probably use something more like a 25 so there are a lot more options there.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
been riding fixed for going on 15 years now. messengered in philly for about 5 of those years. i do own a car, but i really only use it to go out of town, camping, or to go play paintball. i'm lucky; philly is pretty flat! 48 x 17 gear.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

If I remember right from what I read a few years ago, the difference between "single speed" and "fixed gear" is that one will let you coast (like a normal bike) and the other keeps the pedals moving 100% of the time. Is that accurate? Which is which?

I'm kind of in the market for a new bike and, as FL is nice and flat, I'd consider a ______ (whichever one allows coasting). The simplicity appeals to me.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

single speed is what youre looking for murf. fixed is just that: fixed. the rear cog as fixed to the wheel and will not spin
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I used to ride a fixed around the town I lived in. I sold it before I moved and will buy another one once I get some money saved. I dont really see the point of upgrading unless you are changing the ratio. I also ride a road bike and have most of what makes them cost $$$ is components and fixed/single really dont need any new components. A nice deep v wheelset is always nice but you already have a decent set on there.

Main thing, other than ratios, you will notice a difference with are bars, saddle, and pedals.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

a decent bottom bracket and a nice crankset makes a difference too. deep v's are cool but most of them on the market are heavy as crap. a nice track wheelset (aluminum or carbon) make a big difference because of the loss of rotating mass.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
Old 11-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Ive had a few high ends

Gen 2 volume thrasher

Full NJS Makino (minus the pursuit bars and velocities)

my current ride:
Pretty Rare Stage 3 Robert stowe build for Quintana Roo dual 650C (im no too fond of the color deep v's but they were cheap)

i havent been able to ride in at least a year

you'll defintely enjoy the pursuit bars they are super comfy
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

I ride and have too much bike crap. Currently my fixed consist of a Breakbrake 17 transfer, toto cycling elegant tomcat and Swobo Del Norte. Have a Fuji Roibaux for 10 speed and a Giant XTC2 for Mt. Biking.

CustomCockers
Pbnation
Ebay
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in