mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   anyone ride fixed or single speed bikes? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/215202-anyone-ride-fixed-single-speed-bikes.html)

77monteballer 10-04-2012 12:03 PM

anyone ride fixed or single speed bikes?

2 Attachment(s)
just looking for others to chat with, talk about parts/upgrades, you know... the normal stuff we do here on MCB.

i bought that single speed bike from walmart a few weeks ago. i love it. ive only driven my car to work like twice since buying it. its a short ride at only 1.5 miles but if i miss it, i feel crappy the rest of the day.

so far the only thing ive changed is the quill stem because the one that comes on the bike was crap and didnt let me lean as far forward as i wanted.

ive got plans to buy some better wheels and a nicer crank but cant decide on what to go for.

the first attachment is what it looks like now
the second is what it will look like when im "done" tinkering

russc 10-04-2012 12:31 PM

I envy you folks without hills.

masternater1217 10-04-2012 12:57 PM

Is that the Thruster? I've had one for about a year now, love it.

InBlack 10-04-2012 01:13 PM

Ive been riding for quite a bit of time on both singlespeed/fixed and a standard road bike. I use a Trek T1 track bike and have a flip-flop hub, 1 side is a 16T and the other a 17T freewheel. The best of both worlds baby!

Hills aren't a problem as long as you have an appropriate gear setup. A fixed gear will train you how to become more efficient and will make you a more efficient rider.

So you plan to upgrade the existing singlespeed you got from Wal-Mart?

77monteballer 10-04-2012 01:30 PM

russc- we've got a few hills but nothing crazy.

in-black: yeah. the frame is actually REALLY nicely built. the welds are nice and from what ive read is worth more than what i paid for the bike ($80). lol

im diggin the trek you have. what crankset is that? i was looking at origin-8 parts but havent really heard anything of their quality.

i also have a Raleigh Technium 400 frame that i kindof want to turn in to a track-style bike. just trying to find parts on the cheap and money in my budget... =)

InBlack 10-04-2012 01:44 PM

It's an FSA Vero Track 48T. I havent really looking to far into origin-8 myself. I've been pretty happy with FSA and Shimano. The 48T is great for higher speeds and if you got some big legs, but it isnt the greatest for street riding. If you plan to go with a 48T I would look at either an 18T or 17T for the rear.

77monteballer 10-04-2012 02:04 PM

i have an 18t fixed/freewheel in the back right now with a 48t chainring. it works great for the routes i ride.

i basically just want to upgrade the parts as they break to lighter parts. wheels would be nice but crank will probably be first.

actually just looked at origin-8 cranks and theyre all 46t. not that big of a difference but one i dont really want to make. guess ill keep looking.

looks like their wheels are decently priced though:
Amazon.com: Origin8 Track Attak Wheel Set - 700c, 32H, Fixie, NMSW, All-Black: Sports & Outdoors

Murf425 10-04-2012 02:18 PM

I wish I could ride a bike to work. I've only got a 2.5-mile commute, but between having to wear a suit and it never getting cooler than the mid-70's (even that only lasting a month or so), it's just completely impractical. =(

InBlack 10-04-2012 06:33 PM

Ya 48T x 18T is pretty good. I personally like 48T x 17T. I think if you're happy with 48T you should stay there. Try to find some a FSA crankset or something similar.

As for wheels, in that price range if it were me I would rather look at eighthinch Julian wheelsets.

Kanas 10-04-2012 06:51 PM

I ride a single, plan on getting a better one though. My area is FILLED with hills so its hard, but its amazing to use in the city.