mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

The Daily Grind, and Frustrations, of a working photograher...

So as I'm doing more and more work with clients, this seems to be a larger and harder task to accomplish as my jobs have been getting bigger.

People don't always know what they want, therefore a lot of research is needed to make for a happy client. For example, I'm working on designing a lot of banners for a booth with the company I work with part-time. I am working with the event director in charge of getting everything done. She came to me this past monday and said everything needs to be printed by Thursday(tomorrow). I have been working on these for about 4 hours today, I've put in around 20 hours total. I have barely started to get the graphic design portion done, most of it's been actually researching the company.

I got a text from another member of the staff and she wants a banner made up for her division of the department. 4 5x3' posters needed by tomorrow afternoon and I don't even have them designed.

Then it's with smaller clients such as a person with senior portraits. I had a girl come call me yesterday asking if I could re-edit and reprint her photos. She wanted this done for free, but she would pay for the prints. I explained that it's not that simple.

Not really sure the point of this thread, I dunno, maybe this is kind of a rant or maybe just a log or something.

Anyone else know what I mean?
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I assume every field has people asking rather illogical questions and making foolish demands. The other week a client came to us with an update for their project. They wanted us to sign off on all tests on it so things could move forward before the end of day.

1. They got the project in our hands at noon their time, their company is on the west coast, we're on the east, so it was 4 our time. "Luckily" our office works till 6 most of the time to help deal with issues like this.
2. We had been working on their last submission for nearly a week to finish all tests they required.
3. An update basically invalidates nearly all previous tests, and they must be conducted again.
4. They did not want to pay for additional staff to split up the work load...

But I will say that they are great clients to work with in that case, simply because I happen to know several members of the upper management of their parent company. Few things bring more job satisfaction than being able to call a person up, explain what is going on, and then get the okay to call up the person who was annoying you and tell them they're being an idiot and that they can go do unchristian things with a large cactus.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ton up boy

We are making a refurbisment of a magayacht in singapore, we sealed the deal in monday (Iīve done renderings for it the past 3weeks) and itīs due to be ready by christmas, yes christmas 2012. We got a bout a week to design all the small details and make draft drawings etc.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

It happens in every line of work. I've had an account manager from the Great Lakes up my *** for a week about a payment due to one of his customers that was due on 9/28. Now the customer is threatening legal action due to breach of contract if he doesn't have a check tomorrow. Why the hold up? Because when I proposed the payment on 8/31, the guy responsible for approving it (the account manager's boss) didn't bother to do something as simple as log in and click "Approved" until 10/5...over a month. If he'd done it when I released it (aka, when he was supposed to), it would have been there with time to spare. Now, my team's getting raked over the coals for it, since dude obviously can't just go bitch out his boss for dropping the ball.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
you need a break. go shoot something with a gun.
Lead-Foot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I wrote a paper for my English Class outlining the stuff Photographers are asked. It's a very sarcastic paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
is any of this plausible Mike Deep?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I guess a little end note to this thread.

Well, got 2 posters complete. Had them printed at $24 a piece and they ended up not liking my design enough to use it even though I told them/showed them exactly what I was printing -.-

Worked on another poster Friday. Spent a few hours on it and had it printed. It'll be displayed in the companies trade show booth next weekend.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
I guess a little end note to this thread.

Well, got 2 posters complete. Had them printed at $24 a piece and they ended up not liking my design enough to use it even though I told them/showed them exactly what I was printing -.-

Worked on another poster Friday. Spent a few hours on it and had it printed. It'll be displayed in the companies trade show booth next weekend.
That's a bummer, you do really good work, those posters must have been pretty bad for them not to like them. But cool about the trade show!!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in